My chicken diary... One chick's journey

Another interesting note.... I found someone with an incubator and she is going to hatch 2 dozen of my girls eggs for halvsies of whatever actually hatches. She has done this before. I have not.

Im using eggs from Yzma, Penny, and Brigit (1 each color; brown, green, blue). I would love to hatch Aspens because they would be sex linked, but her eggs are still too small (she was a late bloomer). Those babies, should everything go well, will hatch around last week of June.

Also, Helios is showing more and more yellow/orange. He is really starting to have the showy, fancy, "manly" feathers - as I like to call them.

Golden/red and black : Ona
Largest orange (spotted looking): Elsa
Most orange: Fly (cuz she flies, lol)
Whitest: Athena

I think she got the first two from a movie (never saw it). The last one is one i would have picked but totally didn't.

Hi! :) this is an interesting thread, and I wanted to say, because she named one Elsa, I think Ona is spelled Anna. It is from the movie Frozen. It is pronounced On-uh. Athena is a pretty name.

Last edited:
Hi everbody. I've been gone for a while. Old phone didn't like to work right with this site. I have a new phone so I'm trying again!

Last edited:

Yeah! Its working ! Many updates to make but need to clean my brooder so i will be back. I was just testing my phone

Last edited:
I have been having a hard time this past year trying to maintain my flock while dealing with the process of being diagnosed with rhumatoid arthritis. I was misdiagnosed for years because i am part of the 20% that doesnt test positive on the serum test. Well, I am finally starting to feel human again (I can walk and write again without intense pain) so I will try to get you all caught up.....

Well, I reread my journal and will start where I left off.... But I am going to try to be somewhat brief.... We will see how that goes....

I put Nixi in with the babies and it was fine. I kept them seperated until they were about 4 months old and integration went fine.

The older girls were only showing very slight damage to feathers and I was concerned at the time, but now that I am a tiny bit more experienced I realize my hens were not letting Helios overbreed. The bit of ruffled feathers n dirt was normal.

As it turned out..... One of my babies was a boy that i successfully rehomed. My flock was perfect in my eyes. I had a lovely variety of girls and a good roo. Then, all of a sudden, things went wrong. And kept going wrong. One bird disappeared while free ranging. Then another. Both were pullets I had gotten from the Menonites. I started intense training with my dog to watch them. That went alright for a minute.

Back
Top Bottom