My chicken has some big bald spots on her back

leon89

Hatching
Dec 17, 2022
I have 19 hens and no roosters all of them are coming up on 2 years old. One of my chicken has some big bald spots on her back that are getting worse and I'm looking for some advice. I'm gonna be setting up a separate area for her so I can seperate her from the flock but if there's something I can give her or a balm or something I can put on the area that'll help the feather's grow back I'd be interested. They've gotten bald spots here and there from pecking each other but I noticed a few weeks ago the bald areas on her back were getting bigger and it wasn't going away on its own. To the point I'm concerned about frostbite with it getting colder. Any advice would be helpful, thank you.

She's still in good spirit, lots of fight in her and she didn't wanna hold still but I got a few good ones. I accidently got a video that was better than the pictures but it won't let me post the video.

Attachments

• 1000001097.jpg
    1000001097.jpg
    782.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 1000001095.jpg
    1000001095.jpg
    692.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 1000001094.jpg
    1000001094.jpg
    862.6 KB · Views: 25
I have 19 hens and no roosters all of them are coming up on 2 years old. One of my chicken has some big bald spots on her back that are getting worse and I'm looking for some advice. I'm gonna be setting up a separate area for her so I can seperate her from the flock but if there's something I can give her or a balm or something I can put on the area that'll help the feather's grow back I'd be interested. They've gotten bald spots here and there from pecking each other but I noticed a few weeks ago the bald areas on her back were getting bigger and it wasn't going away on its own. To the point I'm concerned about frostbite with it getting colder. Any advice would be helpful, thank you.
I had that problem with Mr. Roo last year. I finally nailed it down when I saw one of my hens pluck a pinfeather from his back.

Seems as how pinfeathers can be tasty? Dunno, but I had to confine him until his feathers grew back, but that didn't solve the problem. As soon as he was back in the pen, the guilty party went to work.

I wound up getting some purple stuff from Tractor Supply to spray on his bald spots. Evidently it tastes nasty and helps new feather growth.

The best solution, of course, is to figure out who's the guilty party and get rid of him/her. Takes some pretty good observation skills ...

I had that problem with Mr. Roo last year. I finally nailed it down when I saw one of my hens pluck a pinfeather from his back.

Seems as how pinfeathers can be tasty? Dunno, but I had to confine him until his feathers grew back, but that didn't solve the problem. As soon as he was back in the pen, the guilty party went to work.

I wound up getting some purple stuff from Tractor Supply to spray on his bald spots. Evidently it tastes nasty and helps new feather growth.

The best solution, of course, is to figure out who's the guilty party and get rid of him/her. Takes some pretty good observation skills ...
I'll look for that when i go to tsc, thanks for the advice

I'll look for that when i go to tsc, thanks for the advice. I'm working on setting up a place for her to be seperated from them but still where my dog can't get to her.

Back
Top Bottom