My Chicken is barely able to move and looks like she is drooling uncontrollably.

Apr 13, 2023
I understand that chickens don't drool however my hen has a lot of congealed liquid coming out of her beak and she is lethargic and won't eat. I don't know what to do to help her or if there is anything to do at all. Has anyone dealt with this before or know the cause? Are her symptoms going to pose a threat to the well-being of my other hens? I have never seen anything like this before. Thank you in advance for the help.

It sounds like it could be a severely impacted or sour crop.

Do you have a picture of the hen and her poop?

How does her crop feel? Mushy, doughy, hard?

Does the liquid smell?

How long has she been like this?

Did you check her throat for blockages?

It sounds like it could be a severely impacted or sour crop.

Do you have a picture of the hen and her poop?

How does her crop feel? Mushy, doughy, hard?

Does the liquid smell?

How long has she been like this?

Did you check her throat for blockages?
I will go now and check for a smell. All I can see in her beak is the congealed liquid and some damp food. I will look down her throat and give her crop another feel. She is a 3-year-old bird and has now been like this since yesterday afternoon. Is there anything that can be done for an impacted or sour crop if we are able to decipher which is the problem? Thank you so much for the response.

I will go now and check for a smell. All I can see in her beak is the congealed liquid and some damp food. I will look down her throat and give her crop another feel. She is a 3-year-old bird and has now been like this since yesterday afternoon. Is there anything that can be done for an impacted or sour crop if we are able to decipher which is the problem? Thank you so much for the response.
The link @EggSighted4Life provided is a great article that has both how to diagnose which crop issue and the treatment course in it.

Her crop is mushy and when I was moving my fingers on it a thick liquid that had a yellowish tint was coming up out of her beak. It has an acidic smell. She is definitely not in a good place and it seems she won't survive. What can I do in the future to prevent sour crop as this is what it seems to be? Is there a preventative measure I can take to make sure impacted and sour crop does not take place in my flock again?

Back
Top Bottom