my chicken is growing a horn?

Casey09

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 21, 2012
Phoenix AZ
ok so one of my chickens is growing a horn type bump on its beak. the other chick of the same breed does not have a bump so im not sure if its a gender thing or just a deformation...i believe they are easter eggers, they were abandoned in my yard so i dont really know for sure. in the picture its the white bump on the top of its beak just under the red.

it is raided up and hard so i dont believe its an injury but it really looks like my chicken is part rhino lol.

any ideas what it is?

it looks like a deformity or extra growth. as long as it is not hurting the chicken or bothering its breathing it should be fine. shes just a little different. :) i think she will be fine.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. I have Ameraucanas and a couple of them have something extra as well. Never thought about it before and since they're 2 years old I can't see any reason to worry about it now, lol.

ok thank you guys! i was just worried that it might be hurt. maybe now ill be able to tell the 2 babies apart lol

Hi there. Just wondering how that one "horned chick" is going. I have a 3 month old jersey giant that has the exact same thing on her beak. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it all even when I poke at it. It's very hard but seems to be larger than the one you pictured.

I have a 19/20 wk old Pullet with one of the little horns growing on her beak. I hope it's nothing to worry about?!?

My chick has something like that but it is growing off the side. I don't think that is is affecting it eating or anything. I am just worried that it might cause future problems

Back
Top Bottom