My chicken is panting?

Oct 2, 2022
It’s been decently hot here in Missouri and this has been going on for maybe a week(ish maybe?) they have a constant supply of water and almost all of their coop is shade and super well ventilated. Why is she panting?

Attachments

• IMG_1763.jpeg
    IMG_1763.jpeg
    384.7 KB · Views: 51
^^ Very true!

Provide some chilled bits of fruit or vegetables, or give them some shallow cool water to stand in, or put some ice in their drinking water.

Dampen some dirt in the shade for them to dust bathe in. Just a couple of inches down, the dirt is cooler than at the surface.

Also: Look to see if there is something in her throat. Tell us what you see/find, with pictures, if you can.

It’s been decently hot here in Missouri and this has been going on for maybe a week(ish maybe?) they have a constant supply of water and almost all of their coop is shade and super well ventilated. Why is she panting?
she might be more sensitive.. like one of mine who pants when its not even that hot. I literally flood some of the soil they walk in when its hot enough, the water instantly evaporates anyway. you could add frozen jugs of water around the run

Humidity makes a difference too .... I would go with the ice in their water, frozen ice jugs ... Feeding frozen/chilled fruit would help too but they may start to prefer that to their feed and too much would off set the nutritional value of their feed. Keep in mind the more liquids they drink, the softer their poop so don't panic.

That's a good consideration. It seems more gaped than when mine pant.
^^ Very true!

Provide some chilled bits of fruit or vegetables, or give them some shallow cool water to stand in, or put some ice in their drinking water.

Dampen some dirt in the shade for them to dust bathe in. Just a couple of inches down, the dirt is cooler than at the surface.

Also: Look to see if there is something in her throat. Tell us what you see/find, with pictures, if you can.
She wouldn’t let me look in her throat but I did get a video of the pant. In the video it sounds kinda like a wheeze but it’s only when she exhales. She also felt really warm when I was holding her.

It has been very hot here the last couple of days. Our chickens have been panting as well. We have been running a high velocity fan on them but today we setup a misting fan. They really seemed to enjoy it. Luckily we have had relatively low humidity which helps a lot.. I didn’t see any panting behavior with the misting fans going.

Back
Top Bottom