my chicken just died!

mommy3

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Plantsville, CT
My daughter just woke me up because she heard a thumping noise from downstairs. We had brought a 10/11 month old red inbecause I thought she had injured her leg and might have had frost bite on her comb. she drank water and ate a little treat last night. I came down and she was on her back dead! it looked like there was mucous on her feathers near her beak- any ideas what might have happened? It was only like 3 days- I noticed someone was in the nest box a lot- must have been her and then found her huddled in a corner yesterday afternoon. Got treats for everyone and saw her get up with a limp. Just lost a red 3 month ago but she had vent gleet and leg problem and wen on for two weeks with no eating so we had to take care of it. THis is a shock and I am not doing an autopsy- anything I can look out for? Could my whole little flock be in danger? I will be watching extra close!!

could this be merricks? 3 of our reds we bought as chicks from a lady and they were from a hatchery-her place was nasty and she had tons of birds and other animals. I think the two that have now died- 3 monts apart- are from this purchase. But the other one had vent gleet and could not walk and after 2 weeks of trying to feed her with little success and no improvement we had to end her suffering. THis one the only similarity was the limp. What do I do!?

Back
Top Bottom