My chicken wont support herself?

silkiemumma

Chirping
Jul 31, 2016
Kent UK
Good morning all,
My 4 year old hybrid (last of my flock) has been deteriorating recently. For the past month she’s had a limp on her left leg, it got really bad and I took her to the vet I used to work at and we had her on some pain killers. For a while the painkillers really worked and although she still limped she was jumping up in branches again and seemed happy!
Yesterday I came out to her and she was still in her coop hunched up. I lifted her out and tried to place her down but she wouldn’t stand and seemed to tilt forwards. I supported her chest and finally she stood up but when she tried to walk just splayed her wings out and tumbled. her comb is started to wilt one way and she won’t eat or drink. She’s lethargic and just lays on her towel. She can stand up on her own But soon gives up and lays back down.

I have syringed water and electrolytes into her along with the last of her pain meds. I’ve noticed she had mites so she’s had a diatomaceous earth bath, much to her dislike as she is now one dusty old hen 😂!
I’ve checked her legs and her pads and there are no injuries. I have sprayed her legs with some scaly leg treatment just incase. The vet did a full examination of her legs and hips and couldn’t feel any issues.

Her poo is runny and yellow, she’s not egg bound And hasnt laid this year.
I’ve attached photos of her from sunday where she wouldn’t move but as soon as I arrived with a bowl of breakfast she did a sprint 🤭

what is wrong with my chicken?! What else can I do?

Attachments

• BFFB9C7F-63F6-4540-BC9E-BB8DCD415E22.jpeg
    BFFB9C7F-63F6-4540-BC9E-BB8DCD415E22.jpeg
    890 KB · Views: 12
  • F330825B-5E9B-4EE6-9132-A34315B600FE.jpeg
    F330825B-5E9B-4EE6-9132-A34315B600FE.jpeg
    833.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
How is her crop? Is it big and mushy? I would separate her for now and set her up in a nice private space where she can relax until you figure out what’s wrong. The loss of balance is concerning... were your birds vaccinated for Marek’s?

If you cannot identify a cause, she may just be coming to the end of her natural life. If she stopped laying a year ago then her body will be wearing out already. This is what often happens with layer hybrids.

I've lost some at 2 to 3 years old, and another who lived like forever so there are exceptions.

How is her crop? Is it big and mushy? I would separate her for now and set her up in a nice private space where she can relax until you figure out what’s wrong. The loss of balance is concerning... were your birds vaccinated for Marek’s?
Her crop is empty, she won’t eat. I managed to get some warm scrambled egg into her last night and she will drink if I hold the bowl to her beak.
She’s currently propped up in a towel in her enclosure as she can support herself this morning!
nope I couldn’t get them vaccinated anywhere here, two that I rescued were vaccinated but they passed away last year. She’s my last one and she was hatched at a nursery I worked at.

If you cannot identify a cause, she may just be coming to the end of her natural life. If she stopped laying a year ago then her body will be wearing out already. This is what often happens with layer hybrids.

I've lost some at 2 to 3 years old, and another who lived like forever so there are exceptions.
This is what I think, her sister died suddenly and unexpectedly a few months ago and I think she’s been a bit depressed since and now she’s just getting old :(

Back
Top Bottom