My chickens and nest boxes :)

Do/did you provide curtains for your girls' nesting boxes?

• Total voters
I made a slide chart of my chicken broods' ages. I realized I enthusiastically over estimated some of their ages. Anywho, we put three nesting boxes in the coop and it's too soon. :idunno The oldest set that I have affectionately known as Brood No. 1 are only 17 weeks, duh. According to my reading they won't need nesting boxes until they are 20 weeks old. Oh well, I'm leavin' 'em in there. Brood No. 1 consists of four Ameraucana and four Buff Orpingtons, btw. I can use the time to think about curtains for their boxes.

I didn't bother with curtains in either coop that has next boxes. The nests are fairly dark and the hens seem to consider them secure -- almost all the eggs end up there anyway.

With the first group I opened the boxes and put in the golf balls somewhere around 4 months in hope of them getting the idea that this was a good place to put eggs.

After that first group, the adult hens have taught the pullets.

we put three nesting boxes in the coop and it's too soon. :idunno The oldest set that I have affectionately known as Brood No. 1 are only 17 weeks, duh. According to my reading they won't need nesting boxes until they are 20 weeks old.
Chickens can't read and they don't really care what you read. I've had similar breeds start laying as early as 16 weeks. A Buff Orp started at 18 weeks. Some don't start until months later. I sometimes wonder if people that write things like "they won't need nesting boxes until they are 20 weeks old" have ever had Buff Orps or know how to read a calendar.

Oh well, I'm leavin' 'em in there.
Excellent. That way the nests will be there when they start to lay. That does not guarantee that they will use those nests, but at least you won't teach them to lay somewhere else because the nests were not available when they needed them. And if you run into problems with those nests, like maybe they want to sleep in those nests, you can fix the problem before they start laying.

I can use the time to think about curtains for their boxes.
I agree they should not need curtains and the way some people write about curtains on the forum you may get the impression you need them. You can get a lot of misunderstanding on this forum on several topics. Some of us will try to help you understand need versus something else.

If you want to put curtains on the nests then put curtains on the nests. It doesn't matter if they need them or not. They are your nests and if you want curtains they are your nests. You don't have to decorate your coop to look like a field of sunflowers or turn it into a fairytale castle. They can look awesome when you do but it's not really needed. They don't necessarily need all the toys people give them but if it makes you feel better about giving them toys, go for it. (I'm not talking about clutter, that's something different). There are a lot of things you read on here that sound like you have to do it but you really don't.

As for the requirements for nests, Dad had 7 nests that looked similar to Shad's nest lined up in his hen house. Totally open topped and fairly light. My nests are cubes with an opening on the front and fairy dark. Growing up on the farm I'd find some nests in the hay loft way back in tiny really dark holes. I'd find nests pretty much in the open. Most were kind of hidden but they'd hide them in all kinds of different places. Some actually looked pretty open to me. As far as I'm concerned there are no hard and fast rules that you have to follow or they won't use them. I've know hens that would disagree with any of those rules.

Looking at the poll think I will save myself some work and forego curtains.

I have enough to do keeping their coop floor covered with leaves, straw bedding. Seems whenever I see it the floor is all flat again. Perhaps I did not add enough in first place. It seemed so fluffy and deep at first though.

We really need a wheelbarrel. All this raking up and carrying over to hòop coop is labor intensive.

Last edited:
Looking at the poll think I will save myself some work and forego curtains.

I have enough to do keeping their coop floor covered with keaves, straw bedding. Seems whenever I go I it is all flat again. perhaps I did not add enough in first place. It seemed so fluffy and deep at first though.

We really need a wheelbarrel. All this raking up and carrying over to hòop coop is labor intensive.

Adding thin layers repeatedly is a good way to do it.

After I got the chickens my DH bought me a Gorilla Cart for my birthday. :D

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Cart...mzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

Yup, GC is what I want. Saw good prices at Amazon some months ago. The one that lifts like a dump truck.

Hey 3Killer,

I need an intervention. I did a thing :pop . I just ordered six straight run Niederrheiner. They should ship/hatch tomorrow which is cool because the Bielefelders do the same tomorrow.

I understand the allure of new breeds.

I never expected to fall in love with the Blue Australorps and winnow my flock down so hard.

Back
Top Bottom