My Chickens arent Laying. Please help!

yonahdreams

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
New Jersey
Hello. My Chickens have just turned a year old. They were laying really good. We would get about 18 eggs a day and then it dropped down to about 12 when it started to get warm. There was a snake getting in and eating the eggs but i caught him. Yesterday we didnt have any eggs. Today we only got 5 from them. It has been hot here. In the 90's. Would that have anything to do with it? Are they old now and i need to replace the flock? Really Confused right now. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

It's normal to slow down in extreme heat. I bet they'll pick up some when the weather cools, but at about 18-20 months old, they'll be molting and production will taper again. They have a natural rhythm. No need to replace the flock. I have birds who are almost four years old and still laying well.

You may have another snake....sorry but true.

Are any of your girls egg eaters?

How old are they? Laying will decline at 2 1/2 to 3 years.....

Any changes in their diet???
If too many veggie treats, you get less eggs.
How hot is hot????

You may want to put a light on for them, to lengthen the day.

Any signs of sickness in the flock?

Thanks.

Be blessed and be a blessing.

They just turned a year old this past week. I have not seen any of the girls eat the eggs. They normally lay them and leave them. As for their diet. That has been the same. They were on the chick feed while they were 6 months and under then we switched them to Layer feed after they turned 6 months. They get wild bird seeds for a treat and any veggies that we may have not eaten. Not all the time though. They normally just eat their feed or free range in the yard. Thanks

Thanks Speckled Hen. Maybe it is the heat then. I really hope they start to produce eggs for us again. Many people are disappointed right now because we dont have eggs for them.
sad.png

I agree with the heat, but I also agree that if you found 1 snake there are definetly more. My eggs decreased in a week and I walked out and found a chicken snake over 5 feet long. In 2 weeks we killed 3 larger than that. When production drops generally it is a weather factor or snake problem, then they also molt too.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom