My chickens ate an air freshener block

Katsbackyardcoop

Hatching
Jul 26, 2023
I read online that vanilla scented air freshener is good to rid your coop of flies. I purchased hanging trees and a block of vanilla freshener about the size and shape of an hockey puck and hid it in what I thought was a good place. I was cleaning the coop today and the block of vanilla air freshener is GONE. My chickens all seem fine and I have been googling like crazy and can’t find anything helpful. Anything I can do? (besides not do that again!) are their eggs still safe to eat if they ingested this? My daughter had a recently laid egg today for breakfast (I assume that things they eat don’t seep into eggs but I have to ask). Please help and thank you for reading!

Everything chickens eat that’s digestible or stuff you spray on chickens gets into the blood and the eggs.

If it is poisonous for humans to eat I wouldn’t eat the eggs for a few days /a week or even up to 6 weeks* if it is a real nasty poison.

I don’t know if the scent block is poisonous, so I cant give you any good advice. But if the package says to keep it away from children …… please make a safe decision.

* In Europe farmers need to withdraw the eggs for six weeks if they have treated their hens with a poison that is not alowed in the food chain.

Back
Top Bottom