My chicken's comb was torn off - need help with aftercare!

Binos1984

Chirping
Jul 5, 2017
Hi there,

We came home this afternoon and as always, we let our girls out of their run for a few hours of freeranging. One of our red sexlinks (2 years old) came out of the run when we noticed her comb was bright red. When we got closer, we noticed it was all but 2cm torn off! Poor thing!
So I panicked. I didn't know what to do so I googled suggestions as we dont have vets in our area. We decided to sterilize our sharpest scissors and cut the remainder of it off - we then quickly dunked her head in ice cold water and put cornstarch on it to stop the bleeding.

We've set her up in an extra large dog crate in our garage for the time being, but want your help with the aftercare. Should we wash the wound with salt water? Add petroleum jelly? What's best for my poor girl??

Any help is appreciated. This was the hardest day of my life.

No big deal,sounds like she got in scrapped or got bit over soem food.You really didn’t need to do anything,what you have done is fine.Chickens bodies/immune systems are practically their healers.Hav head yoong cockerels get peuves of combs ripped and just scream then walk off,didn’t do anything.

There is no need for speration,if she isn’t being bullied up the track immediately,how long has she been separated?

Just since yesterday late afternoon after we cut off the rest of her comb. She's full of energy this morning and seems just fine.

Back
Top Bottom