My chickens don't like their nesting boxes, they never have would this work? *New question and updat

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
I think I figured out one of the reasons why, but I'm thinking about switching it up. They really like making their own nests in bales of hay and laying there. Would it be totally daft to just give them some bales of hay along the wall and let them make their own nests?

Here is one of the reasons they don't like the first nesting box, apparently it has been commondeered by a rescued stray rabbit.

Last edited:
I've tried small cave like boxes, but they keep going back to the bales of hay. I was thinking of making a small crate for the hay to sit in so they would actually sit into the crate

Try putting covered boxes filled with hay and cover your hay for a while until they get used to using the boxes. Leave the box you have there for the rabbit, it you move it then the rabbit just may relocate to the new nest boxes.

I had the same issue with my girls, then tried moving them and no luck

So I used a little creativity ands viola...they are all happy, staying in their nest, with their own eggs and not on top of one another

The one behind the fence is the one close to hatching day...the others are two weeks apart from each other.

I had the same issue with my girls, then tried moving them and no luck

So I used a little creativity ands viola...they are all happy, staying in their nest, with their own eggs and not on top of one another

The one behind the fence is the one close to hatching day...the others are two weeks apart from each other.
a
I see your girls, but which end is the front? What in the world have you got there? I know it has to have warm blood. The chickens I have, have a distinctive front and back. Plus their toes point in the direction they're going.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom