alexisrambles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Louisiana
My chickens arrived today!!! OMG!
I already have a small problem with them getting out of the wire kennel I'm using for a brooder. Apparently mine can get some air time at two or three days old!!! I didn't expect that to be a problem for while.

I ordered from McMurray, and let me tell you, I'm very impressed so far! They're all active baby chicks, no obvious problems, and all of them survived the trip. I'm amazed. I had planned for one or two deaths, but I'm glad for that to not be a problem. Several of them are active to the point of being slightly annoying, which is a terrific surprise. I'm in southern Louisiana, and the shipping was taking longer than expected from IA. I really was worried.

D7LuAMiWsAAtujM.jpg
D7LuBToXoAQ-7HL.jpg

Hello! Your chicks are adorable! I just got my first set of chicks from Meyer Hatchery last Monday. Like you, I ordered a few extra because I was worried some wouldn't make it. Thank goodness, they all arrived healthy and active and are doing well so far. I am keeping mine in a dog crate also. I lined ours with hardware cloth to make sure our cat couldn't reach in or the chicks get out. You could probably also line the inside with cardboard if they are getting out. I put cardboard in front of the door so I could open the door and reach in without them jumping out.

Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new hobby.

Here are some links to key resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Thank you guys! I'll have to see if I can do that on my lunch break! They came in RIGHT before work, so I barely had time to set them up before I had to go. I made sure they all had access to food and water and knew where the brooder was before I left, but dangit, they're jumpier than I expected! I had the bottom blocked off, but the suckers got up too high!

I'm glad there's a door on the room they're in--otherwise I'd be a LOT more worried.

Welcome to BYC.
:yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

Pick up a roll of hardware cloth on your way home to wrap that cage with.
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site (how to upload photos too):

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops.

What exactly did you Google to get here? <<<<<<<<<<<Click there to go to the thread.

BYC has an APP!

Back
Top Bottom