My chickens lay eggs in the AFTERNOON!!! what's wrong?????

My 5 have just started to lay - using the two laying boxes. Today the first egg arrived at 08.00 and the 5th at about 16.00

a few of my girls are early-birds, but most of them are like their mama -- we don't really get cranked up until later in the day...
smile.png

Quote:
Absolutely right, as usual! Mine lay whenever they feel like it, and there is no predicting.

And some roosters, like Mr. John Henry, crow 24/7!
barnie.gif

Mine lay at 8pm! and one lays at night! around 10! She sleeps in the nest box and when I go at midnight she is in the nest box and an egg! they are OK =]

Why do you imagine there is something wrong... is it because someone here said this or that? A public forum is like asking a question in a crowded room - you'll get all sorts of answers. They can sometimes be, well... divergent, shall we say?

Most chickens lay in the morning hours, but there are always some who go against the grain. You can never predict what a chicken is gonna do, all the time. They are living things.

Besides, we sometimes cause such behavior ourselves. We feed at irregular times, for example. Or we hover around, run the lawnmower or dog back and forth constantly. They are creatures of habit and disturbances like this tend to do drive them to laying eggs when we're not near.

There are ways to regulate them that have been recommended over the years, but they are more involved than just pouring the feed to 'em, 24/7.

May I recommend you relax and be grateful for nice chickens that lay well. Then, take 'em a few Cheerios, tell them thanks for all their hard work and just kinda go with it.

Last edited:
celebrate.gif
i am so glad to hear that i'm not the only one with crazy chickens. mine were morning layers then one day they became afternoon layers. the only other crazy thing they do is they lay in a hole in the ground. i don't know why they just do. but what ya gonna do.

Your chickens do that too?????!!!!!!

My BA, Ileen and her "buddy" NHR Margret, LOVE to scratch holes about 6-10 inches deep and sit in them. I guess it's to keep them cool.
cool.png

Glad to know mine are normal!
celebrate.gif

Thanks for the helpful post everyone!

-Mystery Peepers

Back
Top Bottom