My chickens peck at me and guests

Hez2

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2016
HI everyone's! I have raised my chicks since they were 3 days old. When they were in the house I would spend at least an hour a day with them. They are now 9 weeks old and outside. I spend about 30 min with them about every 1-2 days. When I go in the run and sit they are pecking at me especially when I am holding another chicken. They also peck at the chicken I am holding. I gently push them away but they keep coming back. Am I needing to spend more time with them? How do I get them to stop? I have learned not to wear buttons or polka dots around them as this just makes them peck more. Help please!

I don't know how to break chickens of bad behavior like that. But I do know a squirt bottle works miracles on my cats. When they are bad like scratching places they shouldn't a quick squirt seams to divert their attention and they stop. Maybe it will work on chickens???

Do not allow them to peck you, they are being dominant and/or demanding treats/food......

.....peck them back, sharp rap with fingertips/thumb on top of head, that's the 'language' they understand.

Be the Head Hen!

Quote:
HI everyone's! I have raised my chicks since they were 3 days old. When they were in the house I would spend at least an hour a day with them. They are now 9 weeks old and outside. I spend about 30 min with them about every 1-2 days. When I go in the run and sit they are pecking at me especially when I am holding another chicken. They also peck at the chicken I am holding. I gently push them away but they keep coming back. Am I needing to spend more time with them? How do I get them to stop? I have learned not to wear buttons or polka dots around them as this just makes them peck more. Help please!

Chickens explore their world by pecking at everything in it. It's called being curious. The things that chickens peck at and find tasty, they eat. Therefor chickens peck at every new thing that they see.

Put a bright red dot on an old pare of athletic shoes and ware them the next time you feed. Watch your chickens go crazy trying to eat this "bloody" dot off you shoes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom