My chickens will NOT nipple drink!!!

Jazzy_girl

Chirping
Mar 21, 2020
No matter what I've tried and maybe I need new ideas. They will not nipple drink. I really need them to because I'm winter that's all I have rn is a heated nipple water drinker. Help!!!

A note that no one has mentioned,

I expect that commercial waterers automatically have this covered, but if you make your own waterer from a bucket with a lid that seals you MUST drill a small hole just under the rim above the water level to break the vacuum.

I made the mistake of forgetting that the first time. They can't drink if the water doesn't flow when they peck the nipples.

have you marked the level of the water to be 100% sure they are not drinking?
I found this^^^ to be essential.
With my engineering testing mind and experience, I already had (roughly) measured the amount they drank out of the open waterer, so of course I also measured the nipple vessel.
Consumption was less at first, but within a week or so they were drinking the same amount as before the nipples. I still roughly measure daily and am kind of amazed that consumption is reduced significantly during heavy rain and snow events.

Oh, the other thing I forgot to mention, you need to get the height right. Depending on the size of the bird a couple inches over their head. They need to be able to tilt their heads back to hit the nipple. Too high and they can’t reach it. Too low and they can’t walk under/activate it.

A note that no one has mentioned,

I expect that commercial waterers automatically have this covered, but if you make your own waterer from a bucket with a lid that seals you MUST drill a small hole just under the rim above the water level to break the vacuum.

I made the mistake of forgetting that the first time. They can't drink if the water doesn't flow when they peck the nipples.
My vent holes are in the lids, but absolutely yes.

No matter what I've tried and maybe I need new ideas. They will not nipple drink. I really need them to because I'm winter that's all I have rn is a heated nipple water drinker. Help!!!
Any luck? I was just reading (inhere somewhere) that the person took away all other water sources, chose a moderate temp day and watched their chickens take to the nipples after about an hour... We're a bit hesitant and looking ahead for winter ideas too

When I switch my meat birds from baby waterers to nipples in the bottom of 5 gallon buckets, it usually takes them 3-5 hours to figure it out.

I try to show them by bumping the nipple with my finger, then wiping the water on their beaks. Then I leave them to it for a while. When I come back to check at least a handful have the idea. The others figure it out from them.

As far as Michigan winters go, I use a double wall vacuum metal waterer with a thermostatically controlled metal base.

When I switch my meat birds from baby waterers to nipples in the bottom of 5 gallon buckets, it usually takes them 3-5 hours to figure it out.

I try to show them by bumping the nipple with my finger, then wiping the water on their beaks. Then I leave them to it for a while. When I come back to check at least a handful have the idea. The others figure it out from them.

As far as Michigan winters go, I use a double wall vacuum metal waterer with a thermostatically controlled metal base.
This was the route we took also. I caught our 'alpha hen' and put her beak into the nipple. It took about a day for her to catch on but the other girls quickly followed.

Back
Top Bottom