My chicks acting like mommies to other chicks...**PICS**

Half-a-dozen

Songster
12 Years
May 26, 2007
NJ
When I went out to the brooder the other day I found this..... My two Silver Pheonix (who must now be pullets)-
big_smile.png
Mothering 8 babies.
ep.gif
The Pheonix are only 5 weeks themselves! Two day prior I dumped two day olds in there and the Pheonix even till now...follow these babies around and care for them as if they had them!!! Is that common???

This is a pic of the two keeping the babies warm
love.gif

Chicksactingasmommiestochicks1.jpg

Chicksactingasmommiestochicks2.jpg

Chicksactingasmommiestochicks3.jpg

Chicksactingasmommiestochicks4.jpg

Chicksactingasmommiestochicks5.jpg

Chicksactingasmommiestochicks6.jpg

Chicksactingasmommiestochicks7.jpg

Chicksactingasmommiestochicks.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it's normal or not, but those pictures are so cute! Just let her keep "mothering", I guess!

That is too cute- I wondered if that was possible myself this morning. I went out to my garage where all the brooder boxes are, and the one with the smallest youngest chicks in it was totally dark. The heat lamp had burned out overnight, and I was almost too afraid to look inside the box. But when I got the bulb replaced, the older 3 1/2 week old silkies had their wings open over the the smaller younger chicks and keets. Luckily I hadn't taken my newest chicks out yet...they were in a box in my hands ready to go into that brooder box from the bator in my house. I thought at the time that the silkies were helping all the less feathered smaller ones stay warm. Not sure though as they aren't a month old yet. I think maybe they really were after seeing your photos! Thanks for posting that!
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom