My chicks are sick!!

Yes, Corid is extremely hard to find there. You may be able to order some to have on hand for the future.
Some have reported that a vet *might* give you some, but you'd have to call around.

If you happen to know a cattle farmer ask them if they have any Corid that you can have.

It's the pits when you can't get the medicines you need to treat chicks for a common condition. Amprolium (Corid) is not an antibiotic so it's one of those things that's puzzling.

You have medicated feed, that's good, but usually there's not enough in feed to treat an outbreak.

Yes, both good ideas. I use strained baby food all the time when I tube feed as it's easy to find, and the beef or beef and liver flavors would be good for iron sources.

Copper sulfate is used around the world as a water treatment for humans to rid it of algae and it works fine on yeasts. It works just as well as any other coccidiostat. The mixing instructions can be a little complex, though, and it's dangerous in its powdered form so it must be carefully handled and kept away from chickens until it's in solution.

@Wyorp Rock and @azygous do you think acidified copper sulfate might help in this situation since OP cannot get Corid?

Also, if these were my babies, I would consider making a mash and adding beef baby food (meant for humans) to help compensate for the bleeding. Thoughts?
ACS might help, it's worth a shot if chicks are dying and there's no way to access other treatments.

Yes to the baby food that's a good idea. Cooked beef liver mashed up well would work too, but baby food is ready made:)

Back
Top Bottom