My chicks are sick!!

Cass64

In the Brooder
May 5, 2023
Flock of eleven 3 week old chicks, 4 are sick, 1 in very bad shape.

I am new to raising chicks but heard the process is usually quite easy. I have a proper setup and quality medicated feed. I have already lost two chicks to what I've assumed to be coccidiosis. Corid is not available here, and we have no vets or stores that deal with chickens, so I've been relying on their feed.

Four chicks are now sick. Two have been having bloody stool and lethargy, so i was expecting all of them to have coccidiosis. But the two other sick chicks are sneezing and one gasping for air, have a lack of appetite and look very weak. This doesn't come up as symptoms of coccidiosis.

I've quarantined them all together because I do not have the supplies to divide them up into 3, but I don't know how to help them breathe better. I have been giving them nutridtench mixed with yolk, VetRX and electrolyte water, but the ones gasping are not getting better.

The weakest one looks like she's in a lot of pain. I keep applying vetRX to get her to breathe but it's so labored still. I am writing this post at 1 AM and I am so worried I will lose another chick. Please help.

I’m so sorry you are dealing with this. I don’t have any experience in dealing with respiratory distress at all. Do you see their nose is obstructed? I’ve seen crusty noses before, maybe there is a diy fix for the Corid. Hopefully someone else jumps on to advise 🤗

I’m so sorry you are dealing with this. I don’t have any experience in dealing with respiratory distress at all. Do you see their nose is obstructed? I’ve seen crusty noses before, maybe there is a diy fix for the Corid. Hopefully someone else jumps on to advise 🤗
Their noses are all fine from what I can tell, their sneezes sound wet and they often hang their mouthes open and droop a lot. I think it's in their lungs moreso- praying someone can help me save them. Watching them struggle is breaking my heart.

I don't have any personal experience with this but found the following on a different post, hopefully it'll help
How are you treating the mites?

I'd treat for mites, Coccidiosis and Enteritis.

Permethrin dust can be found at TSC. Put the dust in a sock, then use it like a powder puff to lightly dust him all over, lift the feathers up work the dust through the feathers down to the skin.
Mites will suck the life out of a bird.

Corid is in the cattle section of TSC. Powder dose is 1 1/2tsp or Liquid Dose is 2 tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days. I'd get the Liquid if possible. Direct dose him with undiluted Corid Liquid at 0.10ml per pound of weight once daily for 3 days, this is in addition to having him drink or if needed with you syringing the mixed Corid water into him several times a day.

Antibiotics are needed for Enteritis, likely the quickest thing to get a hold of is Tylan50, but if you can get Amoxicillin or Baytril, then get those.
If you can only get Tylan50 dose him at 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

Do look inside his beak for lesions or canker. See if his crop is emptying.

Get him hydrated with the Corid water, then see if he will eat some wet feed, egg, fish, chopped liver, etc. A little buttermilk mixed with his food can get some probiotics going.

Any chance he ate moldy feed?
You have respiratory illness in your flock, yes?

If vet care is an option for you, that would be the best action to take.
We are not vets here on BYC, we can only take guesses as to what may be ailing a bird and make suggestions as to what we might do as far as care or treatment.

Flock of eleven 3 week old chicks, 4 are sick, 1 in very bad shape.

I have already lost two chicks to what I've assumed to be coccidiosis. Corid is not available here, and we have no vets or stores that deal with chickens, so I've been relying on their feed.

Four chicks are now sick. Two have been having bloody stool and lethargy, so i was expecting all of them to have coccidiosis. But the two other sick chicks are sneezing and one gasping for air, have a lack of appetite and look very weak. This doesn't come up as symptoms of coccidiosis.
Please post photos of the chicks, the brooder setup and their poop.

Where do you live that you can't find Corid?

Please post photos of the chicks, the brooder setup and their poop.

Where do you live that you can't find Corid?
My sickest chick died last night, the one shown here is the one with bloody stool. Shes had very bad liquid blood poops, and now just has blood mixed with. She still seems quite weak. If needed i can get photos of the other two, but the one sneezing looks normal overall and is quite lively.

White lit cage is for my healthier chicks right now, they have a heat pad for reptiles and a very weak heat lamp (using what I have) but are relatively happy.

Sick chicks are in their original broader, just a large container of mine I cleaned out (with natural animal safe cleaner) with pine shavings and a homemade roost. I've been layering shavings over the poop as I've heard it's safe to do and is great for compost later on, but I am worried this might have somehow contributed to their sickness.

The poop so far is either normal, diarrhea-ish or mucus-y with reddish slime. Sometimes though we get light pink watery poops. I'll attach more photos when I get some better examples.

Edit: British Columbia on the Sunshine Coast.

Attachments

• 20230505_111236.jpg
    20230505_111236.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230505_111213.jpg
    20230505_111213.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230505_111006.jpg
    20230505_111006.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230505_110844.jpg
    20230505_110844.jpg