My chicks are wasting their food!

Goldengirls406

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 22, 2016
Stevensville, MT
My chicks are wasting a quart of food a day! I'm not sure what to do about it. Is there a trick that can be used to keep them from kicking their food out of their feeder?

Well, that's par for the course. You can find something to set your feeder on to raise it a little bit and that may help, or they may just jump on it and do it some more.
idunno.gif

You can try to show them how to eat like hold on to one of each of them and tip their beak slightly to the food and the water. It can slo be the lamp is too hot to keep them in and they don't eat. Anyways, I don't know what you mean "my chicks are wasting their food!"

They are great eaters, but they put their little legs in their food and kick it out of the container, then they poop all over their food on the ground. I got home and a whole quart jar of food had been kicked out of the feeder and on to the ground.

I set my feeder inside a larger round pan. That caught 90% of the feed they kicked out. Then I just picked out the shavings and put the food back into the feeder. Made a big difference for us

My chicks are wasting a quart of food a day! I'm not sure what to do about it. Is there a trick that can be used to keep them from kicking their food out of their feeder?
The best solution to this that I have found that really works is putting in chicken wire on your food container.
T I have tried everything, nothing's even comes close to this. It works great for chicks with the starter/ grower with no measurable loss of food 99.9 percent range. But it is unbelievable with the layer pellets of the full grown chickens. I know that it is not wise to speak in absolutes but I have tried to measure loss of food with this solution and I can honestly say that I have not found any on the ground. With all the expensive products out there this simple solution is the best that I have found and I believe that anybody that tries it will think of it the same way.

Last edited:
I use one of the plastic feeders with a base that has holes all around, and I also put it in a larger dish. It really cuts down on the waste!

Back
Top Bottom