My Chicks Got Their First Mouse!!

rfreedlund

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Byron, Illinois
I was sitting in the coop tonight like I usually do for just a bit making friends. While I was sitting there with a Barred Rock and Australorp roosting on my arm I saw the chicks getting excited about something and then I see one of my Cuckoo Marans running around with a baby mouse by its tail and the others in hot pursuit. The mouse got away a couple of times but eventually they got it for good. I saw another baby mouse a bit later, but it got away. I do know where the nest is, though. Not bad for 6-week old chicks. Good for certain pest control, too!

I was sitting in the coop tonight like I usually do for just a bit making friends. While I was sitting there with a Barred Rock and Australorp roosting on my arm I saw the chicks getting excited about something and then I see one of my Cuckoo Marans running around with a baby mouse by its tail and the others in hot pursuit. The mouse got away a couple of times but eventually they got it for good. I saw another baby mouse a bit later, but it got away. I do know where the nest is, though. Not bad for 6-week old chicks. Good for certain pest control, too!

Keep that up and you'll increase the odds of bringing Fowl Cholera into the flock:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/61/fowl-cholera-pasteurellosis
I'd recommend developing a rodent control program you should control rather than your birds.

Keep that up and you'll increase the odds of bringing Fowl Cholera into the flock:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/61/fowl-cholera-pasteurellosis
I'd recommend developing a rodent control program you should control rather than your birds.
I don't disagree, Michael, which is why I am glad I now know where the nest is relative to the coop so it can be taken care of properly. We do still live, however, on what was the family dairy farm for many years (now there are just some beef cattle and goats) and total mouse control will never be possible so I am glad that my chicks are ready and willing to do their part as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom