My coop build - a raised coop with an enclosed run underneath. PIC HEAVY - still in progress

Hmmm...so I am thinking my pop door will stay closed almost every night then! I am in a very old neighbourhood right near the end of BCS so we're closer to nature than most mid-city people...which is good but probably bad for the predator thing :(

What a brave woman you are!! Hubby and I built our coop together on weekends, and we already had chicks, and it took WAY TOO LONG!! It turned out great, but wowzers.

Hey, you may want to go and look at reject paint colors at Lowes or Home Depot and see if there are any you like for your coop, because it may save you money.

Thanks, but it hasn't been without mistakes. My husband has come to my rescue now, but we're not nearly finished, with temps well past 100 here.

You're doing a fantastic job!!

WOW I'm impressed!! Keep up lthe great job!
Ayda
Thanks!!

What a brave woman you are!! Hubby and I built our coop together on weekends, and we already had chicks, and it took WAY TOO LONG!! It turned out great, but wowzers.

Hey, you may want to go and look at reject paint colors at Lowes or Home Depot and see if there are any you like for your coop, because it may save you money.
You know...I thought about the "oops" paint, I really did! I thought about it and even said to my son to remind me while we were walking up to the counter.....and then the 3 kiddos distracted me and I totally forgot!
gig.gif
I swear, it's a wonder I leave the store with even half of what I go in for! Oh well, we ended up with some rather bright colours that will be very pretty in our back yard!
Thanks, but it hasn't been without mistakes. My husband has come to my rescue now, but we're not nearly finished, with temps well past 100 here.

You're doing a fantastic job!!
Lol, Mine is hardly without mistakes either! ;) Sheesh 100-105 degrees here and I can't even imagine being outside in anything higher than that, it's really awful this heat - though it does make paint dry quickly! ;) And thanks!

Doesn't it, though? Tomorrow is supposed to be 104, but we should get back into the 90's after that. I hope it cools down there, too.

It's probably a little late for it but in the future to keep costs down you should use old pallets for framing. ;3 You can get these free or nearly free (my are never has them over $2 each and normally has them free) and that's all the materials you need. Just nail them together and you have a dang sturdy frame at little-no cost!

Doesn't it, though? Tomorrow is supposed to be 104, but we should get back into the 90's after that. I hope it cools down there, too.
We had a couple of "cooler" days but I'm pining for So Cal summers!
It's probably a little late for it but in the future to keep costs down you should use old pallets for framing. ;3 You can get these free or nearly free (my are never has them over $2 each and normally has them free) and that's all the materials you need. Just nail them together and you have a dang sturdy frame at little-no cost!
I tried to find a bunch of pallets but sadly the ones my husband managed to find we were old, the wood was not coming off without splitting and they were a little more like parallelograms than rectangles! I tried to get some myself but with 3 kids with me all the time I couldn't get any in the van...and so the saga went on. Hence the long time it took for me to go from frame 1 to the rest of the frame. Maybe next time I can do something like that, but I just couldn't wait months to find pallets one or two at a time in good condition! So Lowes it was this time.

OK here's were I got to yesterday:
added some scrap 2x3 pieces for run floor supports

Nope I didn't use my speed square to check them - I decided noone was going to see them and they'd work well enough
lol.png

And then I slowly measured, cut and fitted together the pine fence boards for the floor

There are some teeny 1/8" gaps here and there (mostly where you see the grass peeking through), and that's ok. I figure it'll allow some drainage if the run gets really wet during a rain storm, and allow for it to dry off if I have to spray it off with a hose once in a while.
I still need to go over it with my sander because the fence boards are a bit rough cut and I don't want the girls getting splinters, or me for that matter when I have to go down there to finish the pop door and ramp etc!

My lower back and knee really hurt today after yesterday (btw one day I AM getting a table saw, splitting with a jig saw is ok but it's not easy to stay straight especially without clamps!), so I may or may not get to the sanding today. But I am about to go outside to continue on the ramp building and hopefully it's little bit of sanding and priming as well.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and kind words!
highfive.gif

Oh my, oh my, oh my! Um, this colour blue is a lot brighter than on the swatch and a lot more turquoise!
gig.gif

and I also finished putting together the ramp sections, primed them and partially painted them:

I have a feeling the green we have might be a lot brighter IRL than in the store too, ha ha ha!

Oh my, oh my, oh my! Um, this colour blue is a lot brighter than on the swatch and a lot more turquoise!
gig.gif

and I also finished putting together the ramp sections, primed them and partially painted them:

I have a feeling the green we have might be a lot brighter IRL than in the store too, ha ha ha!
I love this color , nice and bright !
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom