My Cornish X experiment

Linda and Bladeguy Hit my philosophy on the nose, kinda.

I am not a anti medication under all circumstances. I just ( knocking on wood now) have not had a need for it. If I had a disease start in here, I would use the drugs needed.
I raise my chickens a little different from most people. I do not become a fanatic about keep their pens clean and disinfected. I think, and I am not a biologist either, exposure to germs and pathogens when young will not hurt most of the birds I have.

This farm I am on has had poultry for the last 150 years. I now their are diseases in the soil here. I may have slightly higher mortality rates as babies then a lot of people. I can live with that if I have a healthier stock later on. I am sure some of my early deaths are from bad things. But 90% or more live with naturally occurring antibodies.

I live my life the same way, it must be because we are OLDish. My wife applied for a part time job, we had to laugh about the questionnaire they send for her to fill out. She is a Certified hospice nurse, means she has lots of letters I do not pay attention to behind her name. Anyways back to the questionnaire. They asked her to provide dates of her immunizations for measles, mumps, and chicken pox. We laughed because we were not immunized to any of these, We both had these diseases as kids and have the natural immunity. ( We did get shingles shots).

I think we have more asthma and allergies because of the sterile clean world we live in now. I raise my chicks with this background. I feel they will live and be better birds for me, or die and save me the feed costs...

As much as I like my birds and talk and visit to them, I never forget they are not human, not house pets and are food. I know the paradox will drive those that think of the birds as pets crazy, I am sorry for that. I am not trying to upset you. I just look at birds in an old fashioned way.

Betsy, I'm a newbie, but I have read a lot on here to get the scoop on medicated vs. Non. I was getting a lot of conflicting information, but I think I have it now (then someone will correct me and I will have to look again, lol). The medicated feed has Amprol in it, which basically will help the chick or chicken fight cocci. There is cocci in every soil, and in most chicken poop too since once the chicken is exposed to soil, it will have cocci in its system. My understanding is that there is potential for a chicken never exposed to be exposed to too much too soon, hence many used medicated feed. I am under the impression that the medication stays in the chickens digestive system and is not digested at all, but kills off some cocci to help the chicken's immune system. Many chickens are exposed to cocci at different levels with no medicated feed and their immune system fights it off to keep levels safe. So should you feed medicated? That's up to you. I did fermented feed for 4 weeks, a little ACV with the mother in the water, and had no issues with my 50 meat birds, but that is me in my soil. Also, I am definitely no biologist, but I just don't like the idea of introducing the medication if it may not be needed, and I'm not versed enough to know for sure if any of it goes into the meat I'm going to eat. I prefer to err on the side of no medication until I absolutely see a need for it. Again, that is only my opinion, and each person has to decide for themselves what is the best route for their chickens/food. I'm on no crusade to stop medicated, and may, some day, change my mind on it too, as I'm always trying to learn more. My advice....worth everything you paid for it too!!!

Thanx!

I found another good rooster in my flock tonight..

A red sex link rooster came running to the aid of a little or not so little CX I picked up and carried to the brooder. Unfortunately, I informed said rooster it was too late for him to act responsibly as he was schedule to get on the bus to Freezer Camp in about 2 hours.....

Yep, no more delays, no reprieves, tomorrow 15-20 roosters are headed to camp. I allow them ( the DPs) to spent their last night in a special area/ a large dog kennel about 3x4 ft. I give them water but hold any feed so their crops are a little emptier.

I plan of taking 10 DP's and 10 Cx's. The CX's I will pick out in the morning for the bus trip.

I have only one more sack of 18% protein left, so I have no choice.....

Last edited:
Oh ralphie!! I know you love your birds, my heart goes out to you as you send them on the bus to freezer camp.

Thanks,

It really is a double edge sword day. I love providing home raised meat for my family, but I hate losing my pets.

I spent so much time with them. visiting, feeding, cleaning and so forth, no matter how much I say I will not become attached to them, I do.

Okay, I'm kinda confused. You said you give them medicated chick starter at first and then poultry feed, no medications but then you ay your feed has Amprolium in it. Are you referring to the early start of medicated chick starter or does the poultry feed have medication in it? I've been feeding mine organic feed (Countryside Organics) for the chicks and putting a little Corid in their water. They're a week today and have doubled in weight (1.75-3.55 oz). They're drinking more than they're eating at this point. They're not eating anymore than my egg layer chicks at this age but I imagine that will pick up here shortly.
Betsy, I feed medicated feed but only for a short time to help their immune systems build. I would only use Corid in their water if there was an outbreak and everyone needed to be treated. Corid is a way higher dose of Amprolium and isn't needed unless their is an outbreak.

For example with my layers, I buy one bag of medicated feed and feed them that until it is gone, then switch to non-medicated. I also put them on the dirt daily at two weeks old. If you aren't putting them on the dirt that they will come in contact with, it doesn't matter what you do. They can't build their immune systems unless they come in contact with their dirt. Putting dirt in the brooder is one way or setting up a small fenced spot is another. I use an end of my garden as it is surrounded by wire. The medication in the feed is such a small amount that it supports the immune system. It is just helping the cocci to not take over before their immune system can fight it.

For my meaties, I mix medicated feed in with their meatbird feed the week prior to putting to and the week of putting them in the tractor. I also put them on the dirt during the first week. So week 2 and 3 they get some medicated mixed in and then I stop to let their bodies do the rest. By the time I get to 8-9 weeks I assume that the medication is gone and their immune systems are fighting cocci on their own.

I have new chicks and I just put some dirt in their brooder box but am not giving them medicated feed, they are about a week or so old.. should I give them medicated chick starter instead of the non?

I have new chicks and I just put some dirt in their brooder box but am not giving them medicated feed, they are about a week or so old.. should I give them medicated chick starter instead of the non?
You are doing it just right. They just need a shovelfull of dirt from the garden or coop to get them going. I never buy medicated. I don't want any antibiotics in the chickens ever.

Thanks Linda! One of my chicks died this morning, it didn't look good from the start though, it didn't drink when we got it home and struggled for 2 day before it died.

I lost one of my chickens earlier this year to cocci and don't want to experience that again, since these will be my meat chicken breeding stock and for eating. I don't want medicine in my meat, which is why we're doing this besides taste.

Back
Top Bottom