My cousin is afraid to eat fresh eggs

I felt the same way at first. Something about eating an egg with a face to it.

Wasn't until I heard that store eggs can be as old as 60 days old before they are sold that made me lose that weird feeling.

got a chuckle from your cousin saying that he prefers eggs that have been loaded up on a truck and drove around a bit...lol

Quote:
I ordered my chickens last spring way before I found this board and knew something about the different breeds and the colored eggs. Right after we got our chicks I found a source for eggs around the corner. The egg man as we call him had green, blue and brown eggs in the carton. My sister came to visit and had to have green and blue eggs every morning. Next fall I will have some EE chicks. I love the pictures some member have posted with the Basket that looks like Easter.

Quote:
I get a little squeamish about the food with a face.

Quote:
My mom read this book, passed it to my DH to read while he's been recovering from a severly broken leg, and he just finished yesterday! Now I get to read it. He's already talking about making cheese and "harvesting" animals.
smile.png

Quote:
Sounds like another good one. I might have to look it up after the Kingsolver book.

Quote:
I agree. I've got 2 ladies at my work buying eggs from me. Both are ecstatic. Both are new to fresh eggs. The first carton, my friend looked at me and said, I think I'll have to not think so much about your girls when I'm eating my omlet this weekend.

My biggest thing is that i'm not a huge yolk fan. I've been cutting out about 1/2 the yolks in omlets for the last 5+ years. So when my girls started laying, I felt I couldn't waste their precious eggs, but also didn't really want to eat their yolks. DH just throws them all together and its fabulous. I have been too. On days when I'm feeling really picky, I strain out half the yolks and then fry them up separately and feed them back to the girls. MAN do they like that!

Hey, Urban, you'll love the book. I am still on the lookout for raw milk to make the cheese. I was so excited to learn that Ms Kingsolver and one of her daughters are both very lactose intolerant, and can eat the soft cheese that they make themselves. I can't wait to try it. I almost bred my goats this year, but reading lots of stuff from this forum, I decided to wait and do more research and learn more. Although we had a few milk goats and a cow when I was a kid, I was not involved in the milking. I found a couple local goat owners, and am thinking of offering some help in exchange for some mentoring.

You will be startled when reading the Sally Fallon book, as I was. Take your time with it. Absorb the research and studies and science. She is a HUGE fan of eggs and debunks a lot of myths....you will likely celebrate your yolks and may even be tempted to toss some whites after reading it! She gave me so much wonderful freedom with food, really opening my eyes. It is primarily with her book that I am resolving some major health issues that many doctors have not been able to figure out.

Let me know what you think of the books. I first got Nourishing Traditions through interlibrary loan, but quickly saw that it was not a book to rush through and get back in two weeks. A year and a half later, it is still my most-read book......although now it is competing with the Encyclopedia of Country Living! A must-have!

Oh, and yes, their eggs are precious, aren't they! I rotate a few through a cute basket on my counter so some are always on display. They are beautiful.....I have to get some chickens that lay dark brown and speckled eggs now.

Last edited:
It boggles my mind we are so out of touch with how our food reaches our plate some people prefer NOT knowing where our food is coming from. That ignorance is bliss and rather than seeing a bunch of happy hens and knowing that there has to be a connection between happy hen and good eggs some people would actually prefer to buy caged eggs where the hens are cramped stressed beyond belief and think that this is the better (safer?) product. I think people like this should actually go SEE a battery farm and then choose where they would like their eggs from.

When I got my chicks my dad told me that my mom won't eat brown eggs. I was shocked! Now that we've got a laying bird, my mom has pretty much put her foot down that she won't eat any of our eggs because she knows what they eat.

That's my fault. Shame on me for cooking up the rice that spilled and giving it to the birds instaed of throwing it away! How dare I give leftovers to the girls instead of putting in the disposal? I should never ask the grocer for the questionable produce to give to my girls! It's clearly wrong of me to let my girls eat bugs from my yard.

I'm gross, apparently.

I thought about getting a leghorn so we'd have white eggs to give her but I have decided against it. She can stick with her runny, watery, hormone-ridden, cheap, cage-raised, store bought eggs. I'll keep my firm, beautiful eggs from happy girls.

lol isn't it funny how we all see things? my beautiful Black Austrolorp Missy Chicky just started laying 16 days ago & so far has given me 13 eggs! Sweet huh? Anyway the week before last since we'd finally collected enough to have breakfast together hubby & I sat down to some eggs fried over easy. Now prior to this hubby & I had become accustomed to eggs fram the backyard of a farm advertising "fresh eggs" when we're up at our weekend/summer place & hubby was wild about them etc & so this past summer when we'd here here at this house I'd be going to farmers market when I'd run out of eggs because it seemed sinful to buy eggs that are going to be so much higher in cholestoral especially when hubby was so crazy about them. The color of the egg shell never made a difference to me & I could see the yokes were a darker color & yes they looked better to me too. I wasn't sure how much I noticed the difference in taste & frankly I think it's because we'd stopped eating the store bought & I only used them when I had to in like recipes & such etc. Well back to that first breakfast from my MissChicky & well the yokes were SO DARK they were like a burnt orange & for just a second I thought "ewww look how dark they are?" And then I did a mental forhead slap on myself & realized this is how they're *suppose to look*. They were *delicious* & later that day I'd come online & happened upone someone pointing out how to tell if a egg is fertile & someone commented on "wow those pics of your eggs are great & so let me ask how'd you get those yokes SO dark are you feeding something special?" And I realized that yep this is just how the yokes are suppose to look. LOL

I thank my girl every time I pic up one of those eggs. What a pleasure this is to just go collect them like this.

Back
Top Bottom