My current flock

Nica44

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2020
Hello I want to introduce my chicken flock to all of you :) please enjoy

Rooster - Jasper
DSC_0164.JPG DSC_0167.JPG

i don't know his breed, one thing i can tell about him is that he is red cuckoo, and his feathers are not only metallic but shiny as if they are made from glass (especially his saddle feathers) and he has mane like a rooster - lion. He is big one and heavy.

He is sweetest rooster i saw but he is also young (less than a year) so I hope he doesn't change. He is walking after me ewerywhere especially when hens are waiting for their food, and he protect his girls ( but when he think you are hurting his hen, he don't want to kill you, but he warn you at first and when you let hen go, he has no interest in jump on you). Jasper like to sit on my knee from time to time, sometimes he even fall asleep sitting on me, but when he have enough of socializing with human, he just go away. :)

Hawky

DSC_0175.JPG

She is almost three years old and one of my three last older hens (saddly her sisters passed away few months ago). She is alpha hen, she used to fight with Jasper, and now she is on top of pecking order, no one wants to be on her bad site. She used to be egg bound this year but she is ok now, happily laying her eggs, no problems with health. I don't know if she is Plymouth rock or other breed.

Hei Hei - light sussex, probably

DSC_0161.JPG

She is the same age as Hawky. She is one fast and jumpy hen, you can't hold her or catch her, she don't want contact with human. She is loud one, when she start to scream she is even louder than a rooster :D

Gull - Hei Hei's 'twin' sister

DSC_0156.JPG

She is last one of oldest hens in my flock. She is broody hen, and only broody hen i have now, she was sitting on the eggs that are now my baby chicks, but turns out, she is perfect for incubating and awful when chick is hatching, she killed one of them trying to pull it out of the egg, so she didn't have chance to raise them. She is one hen that my rooster don't like and I don't know why. She spends time with her 'twin' usually.

Second 'twins' Rock (first one) and Roll (behind her)

DSC_0176.JPG

I named them Rock and Roll because they are only two red hens in my flock. Roll is probably New Hapshire, Rock is RIR? i'm not sure. Both of them are sweet, they spend more time with me than any of my hens do.

Punk
DSC_0459.JPG

i don't know her breed but I'm sure she is closer to velociraptor than actual hen ;) She is wild, you can't catch or hold her but she is beautiful. Fun fact: when she is sitting on the nest and you accidentally disturb her when she is lying egg, she starts to screetch like angry raptor.

Metal

DSC_0477.JPG

Another cousin of a velociraptor. Wild but also cute, and less wild than Punk. I must be carefull when taking eggs from her because she not only screetch like angry raptor, she also peck and her pecking is not pleasant ;) She love bread but when I am giving it to hens i must be careful because this dinosaur wants to eat not only bread but also my fingers ;)

I had one beautiful copper marans but saddly she passed away two weeks ago (she was weaker than the rest of the flock and when heat wave hit I couldn't save her, probably I reacted too late, because hens I had before never had problem with heat waves even worse than this one, but now I know better. She was my first hen ever that I lost when she was so young, my hens usually live to they old age) Her name was Goth.

Youngest addiction to my flock. They are chicks of jasper and Goth (Amethyst), Roll (opal) and Metal (Nephrite), they are one month old.

Opal
DSC_0127.JPG
Young cockerel. He is so sweet now, he jumps on me and watch everything from hight, he sometimes want to fight but other babies doesn't want to fight, he is biggest and bravest of them, he is also one dayu younger than his siblings. His feather are orange, dark brown (saddle feathers) and black (tail, part of saddle feathers and some feathers on his neck). I was the first creature he saw, and he treats me like his mother hen.

Amethyst - the dark one

DSC_0120.JPG

Probably a pullet. only one thing that I have after my poor Goth, she is her daughter, and middle chick. She prefers to sleep on my shoulder but I can't let her stay there for too long because she is one poop machine ;) She has feathers soft as silk, and they are longer than other chicks feathers. She has eyes after her mother, black on the outside, and green inside, around iris. She is only one chick that took feet color after her father (yellow)

Nephrite

DSC_0105.JPG

Do someone know if this is a pullet or cockerel? I think it's pullet but it has tiny, little wattles (well they are month old now) and is acting like hon, not as rooster.
She/He is oldest but smallest of my baby chicks.

Rooster - Jasper
View attachment 2305257View attachment 2305258

i don't know his breed, one thing i can tell about him is that he is red cuckoo, and his feathers are not only metallic but shiny as if they are made from glass (especially his saddle feathers) and he has mane like a rooster - lion. He is big one and heavy.

He is sweetest rooster i saw but he is also young (less than a year) so I hope he doesn't change. He is walking after me ewerywhere especially when hens are waiting for their food, and he protect his girls ( but when he think you are hurting his hen, he don't want to kill you, but he warn you at first and when you let hen go, he has no interest in jump on you). Jasper like to sit on my knee from time to time, sometimes he even fall asleep sitting on me, but when he have enough of socializing with human, he just go away. :)

Hawky

View attachment 2305266

She is almost three years old and one of my three last older hens (saddly her sisters passed away few months ago). She is alpha hen, she used to fight with Jasper, and now she is on top of pecking order, no one wants to be on her bad site. She used to be egg bound this year but she is ok now, happily laying her eggs, no problems with health. I don't know if she is Plymouth rock or other breed.

View attachment 2305269

She is the same age as Hawky. She is one fast and jumpy hen, you can't hold her or catch her, she don't want contact with human. She is loud one, when she start to scream she is even louder than a rooster :D

View attachment 2305271

She is last one of oldest hens in my flock. She is broody hen, and only broody hen i have now, she was sitting on the eggs that are now my baby chicks, but turns out, she is perfect for incubating and awful when chick is hatching, she killed one of them trying to pull it out of the egg, so she didn't have chance to raise them. She is one hen that my rooster don't like and I don't know why. She spends time with her 'twin' usually.

View attachment 2305281

I named them Rock and Roll because they are only two red hens in my flock. Roll is probably New Hapshire, Rock is RIR? i'm not sure. Both of them are sweet, they spend more time with me than any of my hens do.

Punk
View attachment 2305287

i don't know her breed but I'm sure she is closer to velociraptor than actual hen ;) She is wild, you can't catch or hold her but she is beautiful. Fun fact: when she is sitting on the nest and you accidentally disturb her when she is lying egg, she starts to screetch like angry raptor.

Metal

View attachment 2305295

Another cousin of a velociraptor. Wild but also cute, and less wild than Punk. I must be carefull when taking eggs from her because she not only screetch like angry raptor, she also peck and her pecking is not pleasant ;) She love bread but when I am giving it to hens i must be careful because this dinosaur wants to eat not only bread but also my fingers ;)

I had one beautiful copper marans but saddly she passed away two weeks ago (she was weaker than the rest of the flock and when heat wave hit I couldn't save her, probably I reacted too late, because hens I had before never had problem with heat waves even worse than this one, but now I know better. She was my first hen ever that I lost when she was so young, my hens usually live to they old age) Her name was Goth.

Youngest addiction to my flock. They are chicks of jasper and Goth (Amethyst), Roll (opal) and Metal (Nephrite), they are one month old.

Opal
View attachment 2305305
Young cockerel. He is so sweet now, he jumps on me and watch everything from hight, he sometimes want to fight but other babies doesn't want to fight, he is biggest and bravest of them, he is also one dayu younger than his siblings. His feather are orange, dark brown (saddle feathers) and black (tail, part of saddle feathers and some feathers on his neck). I was the first creature he saw, and he treats me like his mother hen.

Amethyst - the dark one

View attachment 2305309

Probably a pullet. only one thing that I have after my poor Goth, she is her daughter, and middle chick. She prefers to sleep on my shoulder but I can't let her stay there for too long because she is one poop machine ;) She has feathers soft as silk, and they are longer than other chicks feathers. She has eyes after her mother, black on the outside, and green inside, around iris. She is only one chick that took feet color after her father (yellow)

Nephrite

View attachment 2305319

Do someone know if this is a pullet or cockerel? I think it's pullet but it has tiny, little wattles (well they are month old now) and is acting like hon, not as rooster.
You have an amazing flock to be proud of. Your rooster is very handsome. I am sorry I don’t know the breeds well enough to help you identify them. You are better at that and seem to be more knowledgeable at that than me. I am a newbie. I have a 17 week old flock of nine hens. Three Swedish Flower hens and Three Black Orpingtons, and three Creme Legbars. They are all doing well but not laying yet. I’m hoping by November that they will make a showing. Good luck to you with those sassy hens and your gorgeous rooster. I hope you all stay healthy!

Sad news for today. Hawky passed away. She was weaker lately, but not very weak, she wasn't as strong and mean to other girls as before, but still strong, yesterday she was happily scratching in my garden, and today she fell over with her legs and one wing paralyzed, and died not long time ago. I'm not sure what it was but she was three years old, and I treated her this year, because she was egg bound so maybe it was first symptom, something was wrong? maybe something with her belly or ovary?

RIP Hawky

1602944442758.png

No matter what, other girls and boys are healthy. I wanted to vaccinate my three chicks for Marek's disease and coccidiosis but I can't find vaccinates anywhere and we doesn't have veterinarians for small flocks :( Maybe I try to ask pigeon vet if he can prescribe vaccination because as far as I know, hens older than 3 years may not be disease resistant anymore. And I have two hens older than three years and three chicks that i can't vaccinate because i can't find vaccination anywhere :(

Sad news for today. Hawky passed away. She was weaker lately, but not very weak, she wasn't as strong and mean to other girls as before, but still strong, yesterday she was happily scratching in my garden, and today she fell over with her legs and one wing paralyzed, and died not long time ago. I'm not sure what it was but she was three years old, and I treated her this year, because she was egg bound so maybe it was first symptom, something was wrong? maybe something with her belly or ovary?

RIP Hawky

View attachment 2376315

No matter what, other girls and boys are healthy. I wanted to vaccinate my three chicks for Marek's disease and coccidiosis but I can't find vaccinates anywhere and we doesn't have veterinarians for small flocks :( Maybe I try to ask pigeon vet if he can prescribe vaccination because as far as I know, hens older than 3 years may not be disease resistant anymore. And I have two hens older than three years and three chicks that i can't vaccinate because i can't find vaccination anywhere :(
Oh I am so sorry!! :hugs Always difficult when they pass. She was a very pretty girl, I am sure she knows how much you love her. :hugs

Rooster - Jasper
View attachment 2305257View attachment 2305258

Hawky

View attachment 2305266

View attachment 2305269

View attachment 2305271

View attachment 2305281

Punk
View attachment 2305287

Metal

View attachment 2305295

Opal
View attachment 2305305

Amethyst - the dark one

View attachment 2305309

Nephrite

View attachment 2305319

Hey ur flock is so cute but I have new baby's too and I was wondering if u have any tips on introducing them

Back
Top Bottom