my daughter has a mini rex rabbit and......

chickenlady08

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
He is not quite 1 year old. He has never been a big eater but I am not sure how much he actually eats per day. She took him out of his pen (he is an inside rabbit) and she said he had diarhea but when I looked at it it was watery it was just soft.

He eats rabbit pellets, kale, timothy hay and whatever else kind of veggie I have on hand. I try to make sure he gets his hay and veggies each day, but I work part time, go to college, have many chickens and geese and ducks plus cats and dogs also. So as you can see I am quite busy.

Does anyone know what the problem could be, is this normal? Is there anything else I can do. He doesn't act sick, oh of course he has access to water 24/7:

Thank you

Lisa

Did he eat any lettuce? I use to raise rabbit and lettuce is not good for them they will get dirreaha from it.

Quote:
Right, lettuce is not good for bunnies. Feed leafy greens in tiny amounts, if at all, though blackberry leaves, dandilions, and plantain (the weed, not the fruit you get at the store) are all safe in moderation. Keeping hay available is always good. Hope he's fine!

Thanks for the quick replies. I did give him some Romaine lettuce on Thursday. My rabbit book said it was ok as long as it wasn't iceberg, but now that I think about it I did give him (and my son's rabbit) the core part of the head. It wasnt the leafy green part like the leaves were. My sons seems fine though. I feel bad if I caused this because of my dumbness. My pet shop (locally owned and doesn't sell cats or dogs) owner had told me to not feed iceburg lettuce to him.

I thank you and hopefully he will get over the upset tummy.

Quote:
Take him off the feed for a day or two and only feed him the hay that should help. Don't feel bad they can usually get over it if taken care of as soon as it is found.

Quote:
And you are right it is Iceberg lettuce that they are not suppose to have. The romaine should be fine in small amounts.

Last edited:
Quote:
Take him off the feed for a day or two and only feed him the hay that should help. Don't feel bad they can usually get over it if taken care of as soon as it is found.

Oh gosh thank you. I will go pick out the kale and pellets now. Thanks again!

Quote:
And you are right it is Iceberg lettuce that they are not suppose to have. The romaine should be fine in small amounts.

Will def only do small amounts of this if at all. I know he loves kale so I will stick with that for his greens part of his veggies.

Do you know if carrots are unhealthy in quantity. Someone once told me that carrots were really bad for them and my pet shop girl said some but not alot. My book says carrots and carrot tops are fine to use.

Quote:

Will def only do small amounts of this if at all. I know he loves kale so I will stick with that for his greens part of his veggies.

Do you know if carrots are unhealthy in quantity. Someone once told me that carrots were really bad for them and my pet shop girl said some but not alot. My book says carrots and carrot tops are fine to use.

Carrots should be okay, just keep a watch on him. Sometimes alot isn't good of anything.

Quote:

Carrots should be okay, just keep a watch on him. Sometimes alot isn't good of anything.

Thanks, I only give him 4 or 5 of the small carrots that we put in our salads. He loves them and he is much friendlier than my sons. But his seems to be fine. Go figure! Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom