My design for our new coop and run.

Can you actually draw to true size and shape?

Yes, as an old drafter, I feel that dimensions are essential.

Here we go. Sorry it took so long but I've been sick.
FINAL DESIGN.png

I would reduce the amount of mest box if your keeping 15 chickens for each stall? Or I’m not getting it right
Recommend is One nesting box for every 3-5 hens, depending on source. I have 7 boxes, and about 20 currently laying chickens. Works fine, I target one box per four layers.

Recommend is also 4 sq ft per bird in house, 1 sq ft per bird free ventilation, and 10 sq ft per bird (minimum) run space.

If you want the typical rules of thumb.

"per bird" meaning average chicken, of course. My ducks need more room, your poults will need more room, likewise your emu. Honestly, I don't know the rules of thumb for an emu.

I would reduce the amount of mest box if your keeping 15 chickens for each stall? Or I’m not getting it right

We're not sure how many chickens were gonna get in the future, however we have 15 right now.

Recommend is One nesting box for every 3-5 hens, depending on source. I have 7 boxes, and about 20 currently laying chickens. Works fine, I target one box per four layers.

Recommend is also 4 sq ft per bird in house, 1 sq ft per bird free ventilation, and 10 sq ft per bird (minimum) run space.

If you want the typical rules of thumb.

"per bird" meaning average chicken, of course. My ducks need more room, your poults will need more room, likewise your emu. Honestly, I don't know the rules of thumb for an emu.

Thank you for the help! I will not be adding as many nesting boxes anymore, as I doubt we will keep too many chickens in a single stall. The square feet of the first two stalls is 40 ft so we'd be able to keep 10 chickens in each, more so for bantams if they can get along. The larger one will be able to house 15, which I think that'll be good, however I was planning on keeping Guineafowl with the chickens, so will that be a problem? Advice would be nice!

Our turkeys and emus will be allowed outside whenever they want (The emu shelter will be three sided, and the turkeys will always have an open door except on especially poor weather days.) Emus can have up to 1000 square feet per pair which our run covers nicely.

Back
Top Bottom