My design for our new coop and run.

LukebotTectonic

Chirping
Jan 27, 2021
Hello, over the past two months I have been designing a run and coop for our chickens, and this is my final design. Any advice would be very thankful as there could be things I still need to change about it!

-Three different sheds, the chicken coop (bottom right), the turkey/peafowl shed (bottom left) and the emu shelter (top left).
-The chicken shed will include three separate stalls where they will be able to view each other (the walls of the stall besides the gate into it will be wire.) They will all have PVC pipe waterers, food trough, 21 roosting boxes each, and a perching area with a dropping board so that it's easier to clean. Along with that, underneath the roosting boxes will be a wired area where month old chicks will be kept (after they have been quarantined in the two brooders beside the stalls) until they are ready to be moved in with the rest of the flock. Finally, the outside area has a small fenced off area so, while one or two of the chicken flocks is out, the other one can still come outside. Chickens, guineafowl, and quail (they will be kept in the small chicks area when there are no chicks, to separate them from the more dominant chickens and guineafowl) will be kept in here.
-The turkey/peafowl shed is much simpler, with a door that is always open due to their much more free range lifestyle, with perches along the sides, PVC pipe waterers, and a food trough.
-Outside the turkey shed is an outdoor water area for all of the birds, made out of PVC pipe waterers. Next to this is a galvanized feeder (there are three of them I plan to keep outside), and a roosting perch that sits on the wall of the run. The rest of the run is very similar, only with a few trees and plants that are safe towards these birds and a fiberglass pond (One day I do want geese and ducks, the ducks would stay in the chicken coop and the geese the turkey/peafowl shed.) It'll be somewhat shallow in the edges but more deeper in the bottom, so that birds can dip their feet in on hot days or even take a swim (Chickens can swim everybody!)
-Finally, the emu shelter will be housing, of course, emus. With large drinking bowls on the side, and a food trough, its pretty simple. The two doors on the side allow the emus, only if we're there, to run in the rest of the pasture, where usually are horses are however they switch from pasture to pasture.
-For the foundation the run fence will have concrete underneath it so no prey comes in, along with electric wiring running along the outside (this is for the horses).

I'd love to hear some feedback on this, as I'm still very new to all of this. I did try to do my research however if you see any flaws please tell me, thanks!
FINAL DESIGN.png

Dimensions would help greatly. With 21 boxes in each chicken shed, how many chickens are you housing in each one. Individually, each shed doesn't seem that big, but that is where dimensions would help.

Bottom right shed will be 12x24, that's the chicken coop.
Bottom left shed will be 6x8, that's the turkey shed.
Top left shed will be 10x14, that's the emu

The 21 roosting boxes will be stacked on top of each other, seven each row. So three rows of nesting boxes in all three stalls. Here's a picture if I didn't say that very well. All I know is that we're gonna be having a lot more room which is nice!
FINAL DESIGN-1.png

Sorry, I must need more coffee today. :caf

So each rectangular stall is 12x24 or the combined 3 stalls are 12x24? If combined, is each stall approx. 8x12? How many chickens in each area? 21 nesting boxes seems like a lot?

The shed is 12x20, however I haven't really thought about how big each stall would be since we haven't begun construction. I would assume each stall is 9x6. I honestly do not know how many chickens we'll get, however we are started with 19 last May, one of them dying, two others we gave to my grandpa, and the last one ran away, so 15 in total. I do want to expand greatly, however if you think 21 nesting boxes is too much then how many do you think there should be? I'm open to suggestions!

I think that is a great start on your coop plans. Plan for 2-3 sq ft per bird depending of the size of your runs. With regards to your nesting boxes it seems 1 nest per 4 or 5 birds is what is recommended for chickens not sure for other species. Looks like you have room for storage of feed and supplies which is great! Roosts maybe plan for 8-10 in per bird even though they mostly hundle together. Happy builiding!

21 nesting boxes, in each of three stalls = 63 nesting boxes? 15 chickens? What does "expand greatly" mean? No thoughts to a stall size? Sorry, but I feel like some key info or details are missing, for a 'final' design.

By expand I mean expand how many birds we'll have.

I think that is a great start on your coop plans. Plan for 2-3 sq ft per bird depending of the size of your runs. With regards to your nesting boxes it seems 1 nest per 4 or 5 birds is what is recommended for chickens not sure for other species. Looks like you have room for storage of feed and supplies which is great! Roosts maybe plan for 8-10 in per bird even though they mostly hundle together. Happy builiding!

That's extremely helpful! Probably minimize the nesting boxes to 12 then. I will plan for the roosts as well!

Back
Top Bottom