My DIY automatic chicken POP door opener/closer

Hokum Coco... Thank you for the compliment!!!

I hope you post your pop-door device once completed… I would love to see it.

If I understand your concept of using a single reservoir… you would only need a single pump and it would be much smaller. I thought of this as well. But unless I’m incorrect about your design, that water pump would have to be on for many hours each day… correct? That was the choice I faced. Either… Two pumps; each pump only turning on for 1 minute each day… or have a single pump that will be turned on for 10 or more hours each day. Long-term… I thought the 2 pump idea would be better for me. Less electric and the pumps should last a very long time (hopefully).

Good luck with your project!

Last edited:
That is what I thought at first also.

However after more thought
I will still will need two pumps; One to pump the fluid from the reservoir to lower the traveling vessel and open my door and one pump to lighten the traveling vessel back into the reservoir and allow the door to close with gravity once the traveling vessel is emptied (I will have to add weight to my door to compensate.)

You may have raised a valid point.

I am thinking however once the antenna motor reaches the end of it's cycle the motor shuts off automatically.

Yes you're right it does turn off automatically..... I know first hand! ;) I think you posted in my "Automatic Chicken Coop door for only $5 bucks with a radio antenna from a junkyard" thread earlier.

I am going to use your setup with a minor modification. I plan on using a self lock mechanism inside on the pop door so that when the door is down, it'll be locked and can't be lifted by a predator. Thanks for sharing. I've looked for a long time for a door opener that didn't require a degree in electrical engineering to figure out.

Last edited:
I am going to use your setup with a minor modification. I plan on using a self lock mechanism inside on the pop door so that when the door is down, it'll be locked and can't be lifted by a predator. Thanks for sharing. I've looked for a long time for a door opener that didn't require a degree in electrical engineering to figure out.

When the antenna is fully extended it's extremely strong and probably couldn't be lifted by a predator. It actually locks in place extended.

Good luck. Post back when you are building and finished........ pictures too......... I'll be interested in seeing it.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom