My DIY automatic chicken POP door opener/closer

I am out of town (so no pictures right now) , but wanted thank you. Your automatic door inspired mine. One goal was to not have to purchase anything, using only what I already had. I used 5 gallon buckets, 550 paracord, water pumps and timers from my past reef keeping days. It has been working good for several weeks now. I am ready to build version 2, making some improvements when I get home.

Thanks! When I said locking hinge I meant a locking lid support - not something that locks to keep it closed -but locks in place to keep the lid open. Something like this hinge. And the tip on the roof is a great idea. I can see how that would be a total pain in the butt. Thank you.

Another great building tip that I've learned is to pre-paint the wood. This way all sides get covered and it's easier to paint on the group than overhead.

M-022lg.jpg

chknkids... I've had this unit running for a couple of weeks now and it has yet to fail me. However... I do agree with you in that the fishing line should be replaced. I initially used wire... the type you use on the back of frames for paintings. That didn't work out so well. I was thinking about using wire-cord but I might just wait until Spring when I redo the enclosure. Maybe I'll add another line of fishing string for backup purposes. That would be quick and simple.

Kelliot... thanks!
What about using Spider Wire? Just a thought....

Thanks! When I said locking hinge I meant a locking lid support - not something that locks to keep it closed -but locks in place to keep the lid open. Something like this hinge. And the tip on the roof is a great idea. I can see how that would be a total pain in the butt. Thank you.

Another great building tip that I've learned is to pre-paint the wood. This way all sides get covered and it's easier to paint on the group than overhead.

M-022lg.jpg
I don't think this would work in an automatic door situation, too much friction.....plus you need to lock the door when it's closed for night predator protection.

MMSculpture... Got it.... my mistake. But I would recommend that you add/purchase those hinges last. The one you show... I would be awfully scared to use them. Keep in mind that when the door is open, you'll be under that heavy door. If that hinge gives... it could knock you out.

OwensChickens... yes... I would love to see even pictures of even version 1! 5 gallons buckets... that must be a big setup! Congrats though on a successful build!

Blooie... I'm not really sure what spider wire is. Though I tell you... I've had the same fishing line on now for two years and it's still in good shape. I keep telling myself to replace it but.... why fix what's not broke... keeps coming to mind.

Blooie... I'm not really sure what spider wire is. Though I tell you... I've had the same fishing line on now for two years and it's still in good shape. I keep telling myself to replace it but.... why fix what's not broke... keeps coming to mind.
SpiderWire is fishing line.....it's lightweight, and exceptionally strong! We use it a lot and we've gotten snagged on logs - dragged the logs back to shore when the swivels withstood the pulling. The swivels usually give before the SpiderWire.

Thank you... I'll have to look into this spider-wire. When I do eventually replace the fishing line... that might be a good solution.

Quote:
I think you're an evil genius.
I love your "garage door" style front. Very simple and practical.
About the automatic door, I'm impressed by your enginuity. Looks like quite a fun DIY project, and I understand it's mostly a prototype.
Just adding my two cents... if it were my coop I would have installed an Ador1 auto door opener. You have plenty of room for it on your existing pop-hole it and it obviates the need for additional electrical. You would have had to spend another $100 and there are other tradeoffs as well, it's not perfect. This is not a criticism at all, far from it. I'm just answering your question of "what do you think?". And I may have done things differently if I were less lazy and more DIY.

Back
Top Bottom