My duck has bumble foot!

tessandherducks

Songster
Jul 10, 2022
England, London
Hi all, I noticed today that one of my girls has bumble foot.
I have ordered Epsom salts, triple antibiotics ointment and vet wrap which will be arriving in the next few days.
I was just wondering weather she can still be outside with the vet wrap? She is my most playful duck and loves being outside, she would hate to be cooped up inside.

I know vet wrap isn’t water proof and she loves to swim, so could i just regularlay change the vet wrap so she can swim and enjoy time outside?
Im not sure how she got bumble foot, i am wondering whether it could be related to the cold? as its pretty cold and the grass is super icy and rock hard.
any help would be appreciated Xx
@Miss Lydia @New duck mommy 2021

Depending on how bad the bumble is decides on what to do with it. Soaking in the warm Epsom salt water and using a drawing salve can help with small just started bumbles. But those that are advanced need more work which could be an antibiotic like Baytril and more soaks until the scab is easily removed so the infection can be gotten out.
So she might have to stay out of water until the bumble is healed or you can remove the vet wrap and let her swim then soak and rewrap. Get some pictures up when you can. Rough surfaces can cause bumble steeping on a sharp object can cause bumble. It seems the heavier the duck more likely they will get bumble.
Here is some good info
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/another-bumblefoot-post.1492463/#post-24896429

I agree with @Miss Lydia - it all depends on the size of the bumble. Small ones don't even need to be wrapped. I have only wrapped mine after I've had to work on their feet - pulling the scab off and leaving a raw wound. Then you will need to put ointment and a gauze pad on and wrap with vet wrap and keep her somewhere dry and clean for a couple of days. I always put my birds back in their run with the other girls, which is covered in shavings, but fence off the pond so they can't get in. When that scabs over in a couple of days you can remove it to let her swim and play and see where you're at then for next steps.

I agree with @Miss Lydia - it all depends on the size of the bumble. Small ones don't even need to be wrapped. I have only wrapped mine after I've had to work on their feet - pulling the scab off and leaving a raw wound. Then you will need to put ointment and a gauze pad on and wrap with vet wrap and keep her somewhere dry and clean for a couple of days. I always put my birds back in their run with the other girls, which is covered in shavings, but fence off the pond so they can't get in. When that scabs over in a couple of days you can remove it to let her swim and play and see where you're at then for next steps.
Here is a picture, as you can see its only just started and she is not even limping yet.
I do checks on the ducks daily and am able to pick things up as soon as they start.

Attachments

• DAE5E66E-414A-4942-B44B-5A1328FD7592.jpeg
    DAE5E66E-414A-4942-B44B-5A1328FD7592.jpeg
    538.4 KB · Views: 26
Here is a picture, as you can see its only just started and she is not even limping yet.
I do checks on the ducks daily and am able to pick things up as soon as they start.
I can't really see anything, could you circle or point out where the bumble is located? If she has bumblefoot it looks like it's in the very early stages.
My Sprightly got bumblefoot last year, started up, not too severe, I had a panic, but all I ended up doing was a few Epsom soaks, keeping their enclosure clean (and free from rocks), soft ground, and gave her foot a clean and a dab of ointment each day. It was so mild that it resolved very fast, no drastic measures/wrapping needed.

I can't really see anything, could you circle or point out where the bumble is located? If she has bumblefoot it looks like it's in the very early stages.
My Sprightly got bumblefoot last year, started up, not too severe, I had a panic, but all I ended up doing was a few Epsom soaks, keeping their enclosure clean (and free from rocks), soft ground, and gave her foot a clean and a dab of ointment each day. It was so mild that it resolved very fast, no drastic measures/wrapping needed.
I can’t really see a bumble, but it just looks very puffy and I think because it’s the beginning of it, it’s not yet very noticeable

Back
Top Bottom