My Duck Incubation Adventure - Vevor incubator

My15Ducks

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Hawaii
Hi everyone,
I’m about to start my first duck incubation in many years. I used incubators to hatch ducks when I was a kid - and last year my ducks hatched out a bunch of babies on their own. But I have a new incubator and am excited and nervous to get started!

The incubator is a Vevor N-48. It was gifted to me and I’ve never used this brand before. I realize it’s not a top quality incubator but it’s what I’ve got and hopefully I can make it work.

I’m planning on starting 48 duck eggs next week. 2 dozen from my flock of mixed breed layers, and 2 dozen Indian runners that I’m buying.

Today I plugged in the incubator to test it. So far it’s looking ok. Temperature is staying fairly steady at 37.4 - 37.6 C. The egg turner works. The only concern I have is the humidity. It has gone up to 62%. I opened the air vents and am waiting to see what happens.

I’ll keep this thread updated if anyone is interested. Also, if anyone has experience with this brand of incubator, please feel free to share your experiences!

C1612071-AB51-4E1E-ACF9-B1A7568D32E6.jpeg

I haven't experienced that incubator, but as most will recommend using a separate calibrated thermometer and hygrometer inside. As most incubator gauges can't be trusted even on expensive incubators. As long as it holds temp well and decent humidity you can still get very good hatches using calibrated instruments. Hope this helps. :thumbsup

I will order another thermometer and hygrometer today!
My ducks have been laying for about 2 weeks already this year. I hope that is not too soon to start incubation.. I read somewhere that you should wait a month after they start laying

Is this their 1st year laying?

3 of my ducks have been laying for 3 years, and the other 7 hatched last April and laid a few eggs in the early Fall. Then they didn’t lay again until a few weeks ago. So I guess technically it’s their 2nd year laying?

Mainly just need to worry about 1st year hens until they get the bugs/smaller eggs out of laying systems taking up to a month or so. As the smaller eggs can have more difficulties hatching. As long as your eggs are all normal sized and have not been having any other egg issues you should be ok.

It’s day 0!! I’m very excited and nervous!

Today I bought my 2 dozen Indian Runner eggs. The seller gave me 2 extra, but A few were cracked so I am down to 22. I did put wax on one very tiny crack. I have no idea if it will survive. I also have 26 eggs from my own flock. So 48 total, and the incubator is a bit crowded!!!
(In the picture, the temp is low because I just plugged it in)
9881D126-F5DC-480C-9361-08462462CAE1.jpeg

So far my only problem is that the eggs are so crowded that sometimes they get into a “log jam” and the turner isn’t able to turn them. When this happens, I hand turn them and reorient them so they are able to turn normally. I have to do this about 3 times a day. I don’t think this would be a problem if they were smaller eggs. So in the future I won’t put 48 duck eggs in there, so there will be a bit more space.
It’s only day 2. I can’t wait to candle them!
4564F730-DBF7-418B-8C8E-E1111C8DAC69.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom