My duck tore the tip of his beak- HELP!!

mavanr

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2015
George tore his beak tip several hours ago and i'm finally posing it now because my father wouldn't let me get on earlier...
What are the best things I can do for my muscovy rn?? It bled very bad when it happened. i went to take him out of his elevated cage and he drops his head when i pick him up under the chest/wing area and his beak got caught in the wire and he started peeping like crazy so i set him down immediatly and it was bleeding all over but it clotted within a few minutes and oh my god i'm freaking out and its all my fault. god it was bleeding so heavy. but it just tore half the tip but still it was pretty bad..
i made him some mushy food w/vitamin.mineral water and then gave him a bowl of the v/m water in case he didn't eat the food; mom says salt is a good healer and the v/m comes with a tad of salt in it

anyone w/experience or advice ANYTHING please say something; I raised him since he was 3 days old i can't lose him
he's currently just turning two months

EDIT: I see that you stopped the bleeding. If you have the ability to post a picture I can try to help and we can tell the severity of the situation. .

I would not feed any food for 24 hours to prevent food from getting into the open wound.
The next step is to keep him hydrated and prevent infection. Is the vitamin water for birds or for people? If it is not made for pets or unflavored, you may do more harm than good with the added flavorings and sugars. At this point in time I would just give plain water, at least until morning.

A vet is by far the best option, but if that is not an option for you we can try and help you through.

Last edited:
EDIT: I see that you stopped the bleeding. If you have the ability to post a picture I can try to help.

I would not feed any food for 24 hours to prevent food from getting into the open wound.
The next step is to keep him hydrated and prevent infection. Post pictures if you can so we can tell the severity of the situation. A vet is by far the best option, but if that is not an option for you we can try and help you through.
I cant post pictures but if you search 'muscovy beak' the first pic will assist with what i say: the white part of the tip is torn half way and the bleeding stopped naturally , the vet is not an option for me, he has readily accepted water but is hesatent (sp?) to nibble or eat anything (although we got him take a few tomato insides- but thats all since the incident that happened about 1 and it's 10 pm atm) i've changed his mneral water twice since the incident and i will again promptly do so in the morning

I cant post pictures but if you search 'muscovy beak' the first pic will assist with what i say: the white part of the tip is torn half way and the bleeding stopped naturally , the vet is not an option for me, he has readily accepted water but is hesatent (sp?) to nibble or eat anything (although we got him take a few tomato insides- but thats all since the incident that happened about 1 and it's 10 pm atm) i've changed his mneral water twice since the incident and i will again promptly do so in the morning

It is very likely that it hurts him to eat. Again I would highly suggest only giving fresh water until at least morning when it has had time to scab over completely or you will risk infection. Being just the tip, it shouldn't be a permanent problem as long as it is taken care of properly. Prevent infection by getting an OTC livestock antibiotic to add to his water in the morning.

Last edited:
It is very likely that it hurts him to eat. Again I would highly suggest only giving fresh water until at least morning when it has had time to scab over completely or you will risk infection. Being just the tip, it shouldn't be a permanent problem as long as it is taken care of properly. Prevent infection by getting an OTC livestock antibiotic to add to his water in the morning.
The OTC livestock antibiotic has 'LA' (whatever that means) ratings assigned with numbers; which is best for ducks?

Sorry I wasn't more specific last night, but you are going to want a soluble powder to put in his water. It is called tetracycline hydrochloride AKA Duramycin. It is made by DurVet and is found in a bag or tub, you will likely want the 10 gram bags since you are only treating the one duck.

Sorry I wasn't more specific last night, but you are going to want a soluble powder to put in his water. It is called tetracycline hydrochloride AKA Duramycin. It is made by DurVet and is found in a bag or tub, you will likely want the 10 gram bags since you are only treating the one duck.
Thank you so much for the info!! If my parents allow, I'll most certainly get some infection-preventer. For now, he just has vitamin water.

I know I'm a little late to this party, but last week my Rouen duck and my red sex-link roo got into a big enough pecking fight that by the time I made it outside to break it up, the Rouen had his beak torn all the way across the top of his bill. He also has bleeding at the top of his head from the roo pecking him, and his left eye was watery/bubbly.
I called the one local aviary vet we have in town out of panic and she had me email her the pictures. This was last Thursday 8/27. They told me to bring him on Sat morning, then cancelled due to tropical storm Erica. We rescheduled for tomorrow, 9/2, but this morning when I went out to change the water, I could barely see a scratch, yet alone a break!
The vet told me 90% of birds will heal on their own without outside help and the degree of healing is quicker than traditional. Luckily there were not too many broken blood vessels and the skin wound was superficial. I sprayed bio-active silver on his beak and in his eye each day and amazingly enough you cant even tell he was a stting duck just the other day. I also backed up the water with the antibiotic water, to prevent any other type airborne disease with the other disease an its been grear!
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY.
I will try & come back to post the pics I have, as they are on my phone now.

I know I'm a little late to this party, but last week my Rouen duck and my red sex-link roo got into a big enough pecking fight that by the time I made it outside to break it up, the Rouen had his beak torn all the way across the top of his bill. He also has bleeding at the top of his head from the roo pecking him, and his left eye was watery/bubbly.
I called the one local aviary vet we have in town out of panic and she had me email her the pictures. This was last Thursday 8/27. They told me to bring him on Sat morning, then cancelled due to tropical storm Erica. We rescheduled for tomorrow, 9/2, but this morning when I went out to change the water, I could barely see a scratch, yet alone a break!
The vet told me 90% of birds will heal on their own without outside help and the degree of healing is quicker than traditional. Luckily there were not too many broken blood vessels and the skin wound was superficial. I sprayed bio-active silver on his beak and in his eye each day and amazingly enough you cant even tell he was a stting duck just the other day. I also backed up the water with the antibiotic water, to prevent any other type airborne disease with the other disease an its been grear!
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY.
I will try & come back to post the pics I have, as they are on my phone now.
Thank you, Canam, for the story and encouragement. I think George will be ok now that you said they heal so quickly, after all, his beak-tear is minor to what happened to your duck.

Back
Top Bottom