My duckies just stopped getting in their pools...why??

Rachaels Zoo

Chirping
Jun 29, 2020
Hello!

I have four pekin ducks(14 & 8 weeks) they have two kiddie pools that they basically lived in everyday!Wouldn’t even get out to take naps just napped in the pool! All of a sudden yesterday they just did not want to get into the pool. I finally saw them go up and take a drink from it and later on I finally saw 3 of them get in for no very long. This morning they are out and Panting like crazy and they still will not get in. They love the hose and I put it on the “shower” setting and that cooled them down and I tried to entice him to get in the pool and they are totally on interested. I have checked the pool there is nothing under it in it or on it I havPanting like crazy and they still will not get in. They left the hose and I put it on the” shower setting and that cooled them down and I tried to entice him to get in the pool and they are totally on interested. I have checked the pool there is nothing under it in it or on it. We’ve moved to the pools move them back to where they originally were they just don’t seem to want to get in. Any thoughts on why this could be it’s just so unlike themWe’ve moved to the pools move them back to where they originally were they just don’t seem to want to get in. Any thoughts on why this could be it’s just so unlike them! Thank you!

Hi there - how deep are your pools and how do they get in and out ?

Last year, one of our ladies couldnt get out of a bucket that was flatsided (there was a step inside) - we thought she was enjoying herself until we actually saw her try and could see she was panicking which of course set the others off.

They didnt get back into that particular bucket again.

I am glad they are all ok and enjoying that shower setting - it sounds lovely for them !

Hi there - how deep are your pools and how do they get in and out ?

Last year, one of our ladies couldnt get out of a bucket that was flatsided (there was a step inside) - we thought she was enjoying herself until we actually saw her try and could see she was panicking which of course set the others off.

They didnt get back into that particular bucket again.

I am glad they are all ok and enjoying that shower setting - it sounds lovely for them !
Thank you for your response!!
They have two little kiddie pools less than a foot deep. They can stand in it. I’ve seen them get in and out all of the time no problem! They have a ramp to get in and they’ve never even used it. I could try a step inside! Just so odd!

I have a rock in both of ours, they ignore it, except for our drake they all just flap a little and hop out. one is deeper than the other so they actually can swim, they refuse to use the step in both cases.
when we put a new pool in, I picked one up and set her in, she was quite pleased with that but when she got out none of them went near for a week. now they all use them

I have a rock in both of ours, they ignore it, except for our drake they all just flap a little and hop out. one is deeper than the other so they actually can swim, they refuse to use the step in both cases.
when we put a new pool in, I picked one up and set her in, she was quite pleased with that but when she got out none of them went near for a week. now they all use them
Right! It’s so odd! They have had these pools for I don’t know how long and play and then every single day and starting yesterday they didn’t really want anything to do with them anymore! I just don’t understand why!

Do you have chlorinated water? Is it possible the water chemistry has changed without your knowledge?
It’s just the same water we’ve been using from the hose. I couldn’t tell you for certain if anything has changed in it. That is a good thought! I’ll have to check into that thank you!

UPDATE:
This morning I coaxed all four of my ducks with their “shower” aka hose and they all got in both of their kiddie pools today no problem! I’m so happy! I did notice one of my older ducks kept staring up at the tree that I have their pools under before they got in...The only thing I can think of is we have had an abundance of crows lately and maybe one startled them while they were sleeping in the pool before… Just speculation! They were so happy to be in their pools!! :)

Back
Top Bottom