My duckling died but I don’t know how?

Yeah the cage is a little bit small that’s cause I can’t afford one big space for him so I basically put him inside the living room and cuddle him around like I’m his father duck. And I just bought a tiny coffin and bury it in my backyard

Yeah the cage is a little bit small that’s cause I can’t afford one big space for him so I basically put him inside the living room and cuddle him around like I’m his father duck. And I just bought a tiny coffin and bury it in my backyard
Im sorry for your loss
That actually isn't a cage, it's a rat trap. I can see the trigger plate and the trap door. I have the same type. About a foot long, just over. Small things, very tricky to open and close, almost impossible to use as a cage. Also impossible for a duckling to get it's beak through the bars so not sure how yours managed to become injured in that way.

Ultimately the reason your duckling died was likely due to improper housing and improper diet. Cant say what specifically, but there are so many things about this which are wrong. I'm not sure if this is your first duckling, but I would strongly urge you to not purchase any more unless you can afford to properly house them. It isn't humane.

Im sorry for your loss
That actually isn't a cage, it's a rat trap. I can see the trigger plate and the trap door. I have the same type. About a foot long, just over. Small things, very tricky to open and close, almost impossible to use as a cage. Also impossible for a duckling to get it's beak through the bars so not sure how yours managed to become injured in that way.

Ultimately the reason your duckling died was likely due to improper housing and improper diet. Cant say what specifically, but there are so many things about this which are wrong. I'm not sure if this is your first duckling, but I would strongly urge you to not purchase any more unless you can afford to properly house them. It isn't humane.
Yeah thanks for the reply I’ll just it was actually my first duckling ever, I’ll buy a new duckling when I have time to buy a med size duck house never forget the mini pool

Yeah thanks for the reply I’ll just it was actually my first duckling ever, I’ll buy a new duckling when I have time to buy a med size duck house never forget the mini pool
Also ducklings should never be alone. Two is the minimum
And they shouldn't have swimming water unsupervised until 8 weeks.
I strongly suggest not getting anymore.

So sorry that you lost your duckling :hugs. If you are going to get ducklings again, here are some things to keep in mind.
They need a secure home with bedding - not a caged bottom - and adequate space for them to move away from the heat source you are using.
Ducklings need other ducklings or else they will get lonely and bored.
Ducklings need proper feed; don't feed your ducklings other food unless you have researched it to make sure it is safe to give to them.
While ducklings always need access to drinking water, like BelovedBirds said, they can't swim in deep water alone as they can drown. You can take them for short, supervised swims though.
This article should help :)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/duckling-care-brooder-ideas.64854/

Back
Top Bottom