My duckling's breath has noise?

Have you inspected the mouth and throat?
X2 Make sure around his/her nose isn't blocked or slightly blocked. Has he been seemingly struggling to breath?
Does he look like this? This is a symptom of laryngitis, a contagious respiratary disease.

Screenshot 2024-01-16 10.24.22 AM.png

I doubt the bird has this, his breathing does not seem similar to birds that have it, but if he/she does it can be a serious problem. Most likely it's a nose or throat infection though.

X2 Make sure around his/her nose isn't blocked or slightly blocked. Has he been seemingly struggling to breath?
Does he look like this? This is a symptom of laryngitis, a contagious respiratary disease.

View attachment 3727191
I doubt the bird has this, his breathing does not seem similar to birds that have it, but if he/she does it can be a serious problem. Most likely it's a nose or throat infection though.
He doesn't seem to have anything blocked. Earlier he was eating a bit too fast and seemed to be struggling swallowing, but i pointed him to the water and he's fine now. He doesn't look like the picture, no. It's just like he normally is, but with a slight whistle. He does pant sometimes, which I attributed to heat stress, since he doesn't have any discharge. I want to try and see if there's a definitive problem I can address/cite cause that's the only way I can get my dad to take us to a vet (all possible practicing ones for birds are really far away)

The vet is a good resource, bit like you said above, the only ones that will examine birds are far away and hard to find. Keep watching him, sometimes birds just wheeze and cough when stressed, for me in IL, it's really cold and the birds won't go outside, and are a little stressed that they don't have as much space in their coop to run around and have fun outside.

Last edited:
Likely the little guy inhaled a bit of fine dust from his feed causing temporary stridor. Eating too fast is a common cause of this. It usually corrects on its own. If he's normal in other respects, I would advise not to worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom