Al42

Hatching
Aug 25, 2023
Hi, I have 8 Muscovy ducklings born on the 27th of may (14 weeks), and about 2 weeks ago one of my ducklings began to limp. We checked his foot but couldn’t find anything wrong with it and about a week ago he stopped walking apart from dragging himself into his cage or to his siblings. I have been putting him into their pool for about 5-15 minutes a day but it’s making no difference. I also tried feeding them high niacin level foods like peas but they would all refuse to eat them. Today I noticed one of my others start to limp and started to get really worried. I would appreciate it if I could get some input or advise on how to fix this.

Attachments

• IMG_9297.jpeg
    IMG_9297.jpeg
    577.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9289.jpeg
    IMG_9289.jpeg
    911.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9290.jpeg
    IMG_9290.jpeg
    940.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9291.jpeg
    IMG_9291.jpeg
    576.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9292.jpeg
    IMG_9292.jpeg
    535.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9293.jpeg
    IMG_9293.jpeg
    604.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9295.jpeg
    IMG_9295.jpeg
    543.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9296.jpeg
    IMG_9296.jpeg
    545 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9300.jpeg
    IMG_9300.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9289.jpeg
    IMG_9289.jpeg
    911.9 KB · Views: 4
they need more niacin than you can get from peas. start adding 1 TBSP of Nutritional yeast to every one cup of their feed. In this case, they also need an emergency boost of niacin since they are showing signs of deficiency get liquid vitamin B complex. They can have one ML per day each. Do not put it in the water. You can add it to some treats or give it orally with a syringe. ( no needle) I use durvet high level vitamin B complex injectable from tractor supply. (It can be given orally to ducks even though it says injectable for cows ). if you haven't given medicine to ducks before watch an instructional video first, you have to be careful not to aspirate them.

You can also add powdered niacin to their feed. It does need to be FLUSHING niacin. NOT flush-free, no-flush, or timed-release.

Here's one product: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010RBSLRU/
That is the 'kind', but HOLY CATS, BATMAN! one gram per serving?
That would have a niacin head like me screaming "I've got to get off this cactus that's crawling with ants and escape from the desert!"

One gram would be good in a gallon of water for ducks.

When I put niacin in my Flock Party Duck Drinker, they suck it all down, even though they have other water sources available. They must be able to taste the niacin.

Niacin capsules are fairly cheap, and people should be taking them too!
I am guessing that there's a large online retailer that can get them to you rather quickly! 😉

That is the 'kind', but HOLY CATS, BATMAN! one gram per serving?
That would have a niacin head like me screaming "I've got to get off this cactus that's crawling with ants and escape from the desert!"

One gram would be good in a gallon of water for ducks.

When I put niacin in my Flock Party Duck Drinker, they suck it all down, even though they have other water sources available. They must be able to taste the niacin.
LOL Pollo . My Mom takes niacin and turns bright red. I take B complex instead . What Niacin brand pill are you using for your ducks?

Back
Top Bottom