My ducks won’t go into a enclosure at night

chickenlady2004

Songster
Aug 16, 2023
Hi

i got three ducks about a year ago at a very young age. they had a enclosure at the back of the house and were pretty good to go into it at night (some nights were a struggle) they flew away during the spring/late winter and returned during the summer. i had already taken their old enclosure down as i couldn’t find them anymore and assumed they had just moved on !
they came back with 10 babies, and have slept on the property ever since. i have automatic lights set up around them as i didn’t have their old enclosure anymore and was unsure of how long they would stay. but now i’m certain they definitely don’t want to leave. a couple nights ago though we had a mink attack them (all alive one very injured) i felt horrible about it, so i got them enclosure for night or for when i’m not home. last night i tried putting them in it and they totally freaked out. i think they are still traumatized from the mink, and i worry that they’re time in the wild with no enclosure made them not want to go in at night. not sure what to do as they definitely don’t want to be in a enclosure and they are now a little scared of me because i tried chasing them in yesterday :( any tips or advice? as much as i understand they pretty much chose to be free range themselves, i can’t help but still feel some sort of empathy for them and would like for them to be safe at night.

They are going to need to be locked up at night inside their enclosure minks can get thru 1 inch openings. Feed them only in the run and only in the evening start by putting feed or treats inside a can with a lid and begin by shaking the can and either whistling or calling them and once they are inside give them their feed and treats. Close the gate so they can’t leave. From there you can herd them inside. Usually it doesn’t take long to train them if you stay consistent.

Kept mine in a stock tank (6’ diameter) until they got feathers, then I stuck them in the Waddle in for about a week. When I let them out after a week I gave them a small enclosure outside and would lure them with food to their water outside. At night I heard them back in, that lasted for about a week or two. After couple of weeks I increased their range, after a bit they moved onto free ranging. Wasn’t till within 3 weeks to a month of work, they free range now, come when I whistle to them and put their selves away at night.
Helps I have geese that are a bit smarter to heard the ducks too and took to the training well.
This was about a month ago…

They are going to need to be locked up at night inside their enclosure minks can get thru 1 inch openings. Feed them only in the run and only in the evening start by putting feed or treats inside a can with a lid and begin by shaking the can and either whistling or calling them and once they are inside give them their feed and treats. Close the gate so they can’t leave. From there you can herd them inside. Usually it doesn’t take long to train them if you stay consistent.
This could work too.
Force them to stay in the enclosure.

Looks like they have written their own rules and might fly away again come next winter. They are out of your control after they flew the coop once, all I can suggest trying is a treat leading into the enclosure. Let them go on their own pace if they will.
I agree.
They already chose to leave and I don't think you can force them to be caged animals anymore.

I bet you are and eventually it’s going to turn cold. When my Muscovy were not wanting to go in I fixed it so they really had no choice the way their property is set up I can close off section so it’s smaller spaces and that way they haven’ t any choice. Made it easier to herd them inside. Don’t feed them at all during the day and only in the evening when you want them inside the enclosure so you have them inside. Might have to get some help at first if they are splitting up. Get one group inside the coop and close it up until you get the other in then let them out in the enclosure to eat. All you can do is try and hopefully it will work.

Great to hear she is doing some better I’m sure she’s most likely sore and in pain.

Kept mine in a stock tank (6’ diameter) until they got feathers, then I stuck them in the Waddle in for about a week. When I let them out after a week I gave them a small enclosure outside and would lure them with food to their water outside. At night I heard them back in, that lasted for about a week or two. After couple of weeks I increased their range, after a bit they moved onto free ranging. Wasn’t till within 3 weeks to a month of work, they free range now, come when I whistle to them and put their selves away at night.
Helps I have geese that are a bit smarter to heard the ducks too and took to the training well.
This was about a month ago…
When did you feed them last :lau

Back
Top Bottom