My EEs stopped laying

Bry310

Hatching
Jun 9, 2022
I have 5 hens and 1 roo, all are 24 weeks old. Of the hens, 3 are Rhode Island Reds and 2 are EEs. They all began laying at about 20 weeks. It started out as 1 or 2 eggs per day both brown and blue eggs. Then about two weeks ago we had a massive heat wave and they all stopped laying. Since then, the reds have started laying again consistently, but it’s been about two weeks since the EEs have laid. Is this normal and will they start up again? Is there something I could do to encourage or help them along?

EE's can be inconsistent layers.
Do you free range?
I don’t know if it would be considered free range, but they have a 400 square foot run that’s fully enclosed and a 32 square foot coop. I’ve searched for eggs that could be hiding, but I haven’t found any. And there really aren’t any places they could be hiding. Everything is pretty visible

That happens sometimes, especially after a really good heat wave, they decide to take a little vacation from egg laying. I had one that was out of the game for almost two months, then one day she just decided to lay again,. Funny thing is, she'd go in and sit on the egg box but do nothing sometimes. just hang out in there

aaron

That happens sometimes, especially after a really good heat wave, they decide to take a little vacation from egg laying. I had one that was out of the game for almost two months, then one day she just decided to lay again,. Funny thing is, she'd go in and sit on the egg box but do nothing sometimes. just hang out in there

aaron
That’s interesting! Good to know, thank you. I was beginning to worry something was wrong

Is this normal and will they start up again? Is there something I could do to encourage or help them along?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

I agree with the first poster that *some* EE can be very inconsistent layers.

Yes this *can* be normal. Yes, they will most likely return to lay.

Behavior can be a good indicator of whether we should be concerned or not.. Still active, alert, foraging, and socializing, eating and drinking.. no concern. Self isolating, lethargic, staying excessively in the box, hunched or penguin stance, tail pumping, not coming for treats, etc.. immediate action/assessment is suggested.

Best help.. is always proper nutrition not diminished by excess treats, proper internal and external parasite control (WHEN needed), and proper shelter with proper ventilation & predator protection.

Noting that chickens will do what their genetics and hormones allow.. even birds kept in horrendous crowded conditions with the minimum required nutrition and no natural light, bugs, dirt bath, etc.. STILL lay most of our commercial eggs that feed the world. Free ranging far and wide on the land reduced my egg production not increased it. Quality however is still supreme!

Contrary to popular belief that chickens don't lay in winter because it's cold.. the opposite is true.. they are effected by heat which can reduce laying (and also impact egg quality, ie shell and albumin thickness).. but laying hormone is light influenced.. once mature and in addition to genetics and nutrition.. First year pullets will almost always lay right through winter (in my experience). 2nd year hens will almost always stop laying for a period while they molt out old feathers and in new ones, which typically requires all the energy focus. I try not to speak in absolutes too much because nature doesn't read our books or always conform to the norm.. hens can crow and grow spurs, roosters sing the egg song when startled and also just to join the celebration with the ladies sometimes. Non fertilized eggs CAN start to develop an embryo (they don't make it to hatch though). The list goes on and on but you understand why I use vague terms like can and almost always. It's important to look at all the clues and to keep an open mind.. more than 10 years and close to 1000 birds in.. I still learn something new and see new things continually.

It's partly because of these differences even among same age birds that I still choose to feed (purina) flock raiser full time with oyster shell free choice on the side.. Only my very first flock got "layer" feed. But the little extra protein and amino acids made a huge long term difference, seen especially as the elders approach molt (compared to previous years molts in the same bird). Of course cockerels/roosters should not truly be eating "layer" feed either.. if you've already made that switch or haven't considered the topic yet.

My first EE laid an egg every day for 21 days on a row. took a day off then another 21 days in a row.. 3 times before taking off more than 3 weeks straight. Once the new layer hiccup glitches waned, every other day ish seems about the normal lay rate.

For informational purposes.. birds under a year are still considered pullets and cockerels.. which terms is mostly important when discussing things like behavior and medical conditions. Maybe not as important for this thread since you included exact age. At home my family still says hen and roo in general conversation even though we all understand they are practically different animals.

What breed is your boy? Pics welcome!

I don’t know if it would be considered free range, but they have a 400 square foot run that’s fully enclosed and a 32 square foot coop.
BY US law.. yes.. by most of us.. not really and not at all for THIS particular question.. My chickens have access under black berry bushes, up redwood stumps, over my neighbors fence, etc.. giving lots of places to hide a nest. In an enclosed run.. that's much harder.. So in this case, the next logical question would also be any possibility of egg eaters.. like flock members, snakes, or rodents, even ravens and crows (in open door coops/runs).. seems unlikely that just the blue eggs would be effected.. so I'm mostly mentioning it as ONE of the usual and necessary considerations when we are short eggs.

Sorry so long, hope you enjoy this site as much as I have! :wee

Welcome to BYC! :frow

I agree with the first poster that *some* EE can be very inconsistent layers.

Yes this *can* be normal. Yes, they will most likely return to lay.

Behavior can be a good indicator of whether we should be concerned or not.. Still active, alert, foraging, and socializing, eating and drinking.. no concern. Self isolating, lethargic, staying excessively in the box, hunched or penguin stance, tail pumping, not coming for treats, etc.. immediate action/assessment is suggested.

Best help.. is always proper nutrition not diminished by excess treats, proper internal and external parasite control (WHEN needed), and proper shelter with proper ventilation & predator protection.

Noting that chickens will do what their genetics and hormones allow.. even birds kept in horrendous crowded conditions with the minimum required nutrition and no natural light, bugs, dirt bath, etc.. STILL lay most of our commercial eggs that feed the world. Free ranging far and wide on the land reduced my egg production not increased it. Quality however is still supreme!

Contrary to popular belief that chickens don't lay in winter because it's cold.. the opposite is true.. they are effected by heat which can reduce laying (and also impact egg quality, ie shell and albumin thickness).. but laying hormone is light influenced.. once mature and in addition to genetics and nutrition.. First year pullets will almost always lay right through winter (in my experience). 2nd year hens will almost always stop laying for a period while they molt out old feathers and in new ones, which typically requires all the energy focus. I try not to speak in absolutes too much because nature doesn't read our books or always conform to the norm.. hens can crow and grow spurs, roosters sing the egg song when startled and also just to join the celebration with the ladies sometimes. Non fertilized eggs CAN start to develop an embryo (they don't make it to hatch though). The list goes on and on but you understand why I use vague terms like can and almost always. It's important to look at all the clues and to keep an open mind.. more than 10 years and close to 1000 birds in.. I still learn something new and see new things continually.

It's partly because of these differences even among same age birds that I still choose to feed (purina) flock raiser full time with oyster shell free choice on the side.. Only my very first flock got "layer" feed. But the little extra protein and amino acids made a huge long term difference, seen especially as the elders approach molt (compared to previous years molts in the same bird). Of course cockerels/roosters should not truly be eating "layer" feed either.. if you've already made that switch or haven't considered the topic yet.

My first EE laid an egg every day for 21 days on a row. took a day off then another 21 days in a row.. 3 times before taking off more than 3 weeks straight. Once the new layer hiccup glitches waned, every other day ish seems about the normal lay rate.

For informational purposes.. birds under a year are still considered pullets and cockerels.. which terms is mostly important when discussing things like behavior and medical conditions. Maybe not as important for this thread since you included exact age. At home my family still says hen and roo in general conversation even though we all understand they are practically different animals.

What breed is your boy? Pics welcome!

BY US law.. yes.. by most of us.. not really and not at all for THIS particular question.. My chickens have access under black berry bushes, up redwood stumps, over my neighbors fence, etc.. giving lots of places to hide a nest. In an enclosed run.. that's much harder.. So in this case, the next logical question would also be any possibility of egg eaters.. like flock members, snakes, or rodents, even ravens and crows (in open door coops/runs).. seems unlikely that just the blue eggs would be effected.. so I'm mostly mentioning it as ONE of the usual and necessary considerations when we are short eggs.

Sorry so long, hope you enjoy this site as much as I have! :wee
My Easter Eggers have also stopped laying the last couple weeks too. They are 1.5 yrs old. I was wondering why also.
And I’m curious when you said “ Self isolating, lethargic, staying excessively in the box, hunched or penguin stance, tail pumping, not coming for treats, etc.. immediate action/assessment is suggested.” What does that behavior indicate?
I saw one of my Easter Eggers spaced out today. What’s this all about?

My Easter Eggers have also stopped laying the last couple weeks too. They are 1.5 yrs old. I was wondering why also.
And I’m curious when you said “ Self isolating, lethargic, staying excessively in the box, hunched or penguin stance, tail pumping, not coming for treats, etc.. immediate action/assessment is suggested.” What does that behavior indicate?
I saw one of my Easter Eggers spaced out today. What’s this all about?
See link below

When I think my EEs aren't laying, they usually are, lol . . . .

Under the generator . . .
1665378256602.png

Under the big Walnut tree trunk we recently had to have cut down . . .
1665378392512.png

Or under the junk wood pile near the fire pit . . . that was an OLD stash 🤪
1665378531542.png

Silly chickens :confused:!

Back
Top Bottom