My favorite hen is pecking me!

jessbrooks2013

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
It freaking hurts. I loved this hen, at least I hope she's a hen. I'm new to the chicken world with my 3 hens. They are about 5 months old, with no eggs yet but soon.
My R. Island Red has always been the least afraid of people and therefore the most handled and well-liked. But as of 2 weeks ago she has begun to peck at me, leaving marks. I won't go in there yard now without foot protection. I've pushed her back, swatted her when she's pecked at me and generally firmly told her to cut it out. She will still fly up to my lap and doesn't mind being petted, but continues to peck me, stand in my way and chase me. In addition, she has gotten louder than the other chickens doing a "Waa, Waa, Waa!" noise.
Any advice?

The same thing happened last year with my RIR hen. A few weeks before she started to lay, she became more agressive. She would follow behind me as I walked and peck at my ankles.
When she started to lay eggs she became the same sweet heart she was before. I think it's hormonal.
smile.png

I've got 30+ RIR girls and they like to pick at me, my toes, my freckles, a mosquito bite, my wedding ring, basically anything that catches their eye as standing out from the background. Mine are 20 weeks old and just starting to produce eggs and I haven't noticed a change in anyone's behavior. I think it's instinct to "sample" anything that catches their eye. At least I hope their not doing it because they're being mean! I haven't taken iit that way at least
hmm.png

This is a mean behavior, not a sampling one. I know they like to see if they can eat about anything but not in a way that leaves marks.

Back
Top Bottom