My feeder has a bottomless pit...

kcan2

Free Ranging
Oct 18, 2019
MI
So, I finally made a pvc gravity feeder and was patting myself on the back for about 5 minutes. But, trapped in the neverending cycle of continuous chicken improvement, I would like to seal off the bottom 3-4 inches or so, so pellets don't end up in the bottomless pit and never get touched (or moldy). Has anyone had any success with blocking off the bottom portion on an apparatus like this - other than filling the bottom with cement?
*Edited to show part I would like to block off circled in red
20200424_150218.jpg

So, I finally made a pvc gravity feeder and was patting myself on the back for about 5 minutes. But, trapped in the never ending cycle of continuous chicken improvement, I would like to seal off the bottom 3-4 inches or so, so pellets don't end up in the bottomless pit and never get touched (or moldy). Has anyone had any success with blocking off the bottom portion on an apparatus like this - other than filling the bottom with cement?
*Edited to show part I would like to block off circled in red
View attachment 2105880
I got a pvc test cap of the appropriate diameter for my set up. If I remember correctly, I sanded down the outside rim just enough so that it fit the inner diameter of the pvc fitting and glued it in place.
PVC Test Cap

I got a pvc test cap of the appropriate diameter for my set up. If I remember correctly, I sanded down the outside rim just enough so that it fit the inner diameter of the pvc fitting and glued it in place.
PVC Test Cap
Awesome, for 45¢, I will give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

I'm not sure what I did, but somehow the test cap that I bought created a perfect seal without having to sand or glue it. I think the parts I used on the bottom made that possible. You can see the test cap down inside. 72¢ fix! Thanks to everyone's help, the bottomless pit and pellet waste is much reduced!
20200427_134044.jpg
20200427_134055.jpg

I used the test cap like previous poster. If you can't find them at Lowe's (Sometimes they are out), you can also use a metal canning lid. It seems to fit down in there perfectly.
When I tried a canning lid on my 3" PVC, it was too small and fell through :(. I recently discovered there were two kinds of PVC; I think I bought the larger diameter one. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom