my first chickens' first eggs at 16 1/2 weeks! :)

FreshHappyEggs

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
Ohio
So....my red sex links are just 17 weeks old today. They have been showing all the signs of being ready, (squatting, bright red comb, eating more...etc.) This is my first time having chickens but I've learned a lot from browsing around on backyard chickens. I have checked the nesting boxes daily and found nothing. Today I was outside working and heard a very different, but happy sounding noise coming from the coop. I remember reading about an "egg song", so I went out and 2 of the chickens were up in the roof area of the coop where they usually don't go (it is dark up there) and there were 2 eggs off to the side and I witnessed a chicken laying an egg. Apparently they like it up there where it's dark better, but I can't get to it unless I climb up inside the coop which I don't like to do. Now I have to figure out a way to keep them out of there and to use their nesting boxes instead. Anyways, just wanted to share...it was very exciting for me finding those eggs with this all being new.

The speckled egg is the one I witnessed coming out. I threw the other two out because I don't know how long they were in there and it's hot out. They all have nice hard shells though. :)

Very nice. It was so exciting for us to hear those first egg songs a year or so ago.

They are so proud of their creations and have to sing about it.

thanks! they are just starting out and are egg laying machines! I have 6 chickens...got 5 eggs yesterday and 6 today. They seem much happier and friendlier now too. A couple weeks before they started laying they were kind of mean!

Back
Top Bottom