My First Coop

After I built my rafters I ran purlins made of 1x2 across the rafters and up the outer edges to the peak and screwed my metal directly to that. This gave me a lot of ventilation via the eaves. I also did not run my metal all the way to the peak, I left it short about 2 inches so I have a 4-5 inch opening all the way across the top of my coop, which is covered by hardware cloth and then the ridge cap.

I also put some "double bubble" insulation that I had left over from my pole barn build a couple years ago on top of my rafters before I put the purlins on. This has some insulation value and is designed in the pole barn to keep moisture from building on the metal roof and dripping down. I am assuming it will do the same in the coop and have some insulation value. If for some reason it doesn't work out I can easily cut it out from the inside with a box knife.

With regards to natural light inside tbe coop. Ive seen coops with a lot of windows and coops with only one small window. I've heard that chickens prefer to lay eggs in a darker area as opposed to a brighter area. So my questio is to add lots of natural lighting or limit natural lighting.

Well I could all ways take a blind or make little curtains for the Windows or just put certain like things over the front of the nesting boxes a lot of people do the curtains over the nesting boxes but u really don't have to all though I and my birds prefer the nesting boxes dark

I'd vote for lots of natural light.....you can always curtain the nests if you feel they need to be dark.

My nest bank faces big north windows......have never needed curtains.
While under construction:

With regards to insulation. I've watched several videos and none have mentioned insulation. I live in Arkansas where the summer humidity can be high as well as the temperatures. So, I'm considering insulating to help keep it cool in the summer. Which leads to with what and how, while keeping costs down. Any thoughts or suggestions?

My inteention is to not enter the coop, at least regularly. I'm designing my coop based off the easy clean coops by Simple Subburban Loving and ? Flemming videos on youtube. I guess i could build something on the outside to cover the windows.

See like this but put them on the outside

My inteention is to not enter the coop, at least regularly. I'm designing my coop based off the easy clean coops by Simple Subburban Loving and ? Flemming videos on youtube. I guess i could build something on the outside to cover the windows.
Anything larger than 4x4, you need to be able to walk inside. You can not reach past that to clean or retrieve a hen or egg, do repairs... That is a nice design for 3 hens but you already have 8. Heat and humidity will stress your hens, kill them and reduce production. You need much more airflow than that design can offer. I would eliminate one side completely and enclose it with hardware cloth. (The side open to the run). Insulate the roof. Don't worry about the walls. Plant some bushes to provide shade to the coop and run.

Back
Top Bottom