My first coop

We just got done with our coop and almost ready for our chickens that arrive in two weeks.

These will be their nesting buckets. The lids will be cut down and put onto buckets, with material over the edges to keep them from harm getting in and out. Straw will be placed in.
I also made my own feeders and waterers from buckets as well. Sure kept the cost down! We rigged it up with lighting today. Few other minor details but most of it is done.
celebrate.gif

We just got done with our coop and almost ready for our chickens that arrive in two weeks. These will be their nesting buckets. The lids will be cut down and put onto buckets, with material over the edges to keep them from harm getting in and out. Straw will be placed in. I also made my own feeders and waterers from buckets as well. Sure kept the cost down! We rigged it up with lighting today. Few other minor details but most of it is done. :celebrate
Looks good! Thanks for sharing! I'm still on the fence about a feeder. Leaning towards the bucket with 90 deg PVC elbows, but we'll see. Let me know what you end up doing for food and water.

I used the same type buckets and cut/drilled holes for the food/water, with oil pans on the bottom. So easy to do and will hold 5gal of food/water. I did two of each.
cool.png

We just got done with our coop and almost ready for our chickens that arrive in two weeks. These will be their nesting buckets. The lids will be cut down and put onto buckets, with material over the edges to keep them from harm getting in and out. Straw will be placed in. I also made my own feeders and waterers from buckets as well. Sure kept the cost down! We rigged it up with lighting today. Few other minor details but most of it is done. :celebrate
looks good are you worried about them flying over the fence

I got some more siding on the front and added the "hidden" chicken door. We are not allowed to free range in the city, so I built this to either attach it to a chicken moat in the garden are to just fence in the garden and let them out anyway. LOL but if they ever follow through with inspecting this thing on yearly basis, they won't know I am letting them in and out this way.

Clean out door on bottom left hidden chicken door on bottom right.

Hopefully having the vented clean out below the roost will cut down on drafts.

Not too much at the moment, but plan on clipping their right side flight feathers when about 8-9 wks old. Do you think I should do both sides? Is the age of the one side clipping okay? I'm new at this so am very 'hungry' for all the info I can get!
tongue.png

Also, our fencing is very hard for them to grab, which is 4ft. tall, with a 6ft. fence. I often wonder how I could make it safer, but have no ideas right now. Anyone out there have some ideas for me, besides clipping the one side of the wings on my girls?

Might want to put some fencing as a roof so they do.t get out or predators get in

Sorry blackwpk, I'm doing a covered run so I don't have a lot of suggestions on the fence issue. Have you looked into maybe a single hot wire at the top? (Ie: electric fence)

Back
Top Bottom