My first duck egg ever!!

Kschwartz

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
My duck Jack laid her first egg yesterday! I found it last night when I went to put her away for the night. She's a Rouen and about 8.5 months old. The eggs I know are obviously not fertilized because I have no drakes, so no worrying about ducklings.

I've never had chickens or ducks or anything until I got her and Sam (another rouen hen, who unfortunately passed away in December..) so I've never had any, "organic" , eggs before.

I've heard that a duck's first egg is usually smaller and sometimes has a weak shell but I felt the egg and quickly candled it with a flashlight to check if there were any structural deformities/weaknesses but it looked like a great egg!

EGG-CITING :)

So I'm just wondering a few things...

-Is there any specific way I should wash them? Or just rinse them off with water (what temp. water?)
-Will she be a pretty consistent layer? (An egg a day or less?) And when will she stop laying?
- What do they taste like? I've heard they're good for baking but I'm afraid to use them because everyone in my family is iffy about it haha.

Here is a picture of the egg compared to a store bought white "large, grade a" egg

Congrats on your first egg!! I think you got misinformation about duck eggs, most of the time they are large and the shell is very hard. Just brush off any loose dirt or poop but wash with soapy water before using for cooking or baking. or just plain water depending on how much poo or dirt there is. Don't tell the family your using the ducks eggs when baking all they will know is what ever you baked will be and more yummier than with chicken eggs. as for eating most say they are better than chicken eggs, I can't tell much difference but my dh won't eat them [it's all in his head]

My duck Jack laid her first egg yesterday! I found it last night when I went to put her away for the night. She's a Rouen and about 8.5 months old. The eggs I know are obviously not fertilized because I have no drakes, so no worrying about ducklings.

I've never had chickens or ducks or anything until I got her and Sam (another rouen hen, who unfortunately passed away in December..) so I've never had any, "organic" , eggs before.

I've heard that a duck's first egg is usually smaller and sometimes has a weak shell but I felt the egg and quickly candled it with a flashlight to check if there were any structural deformities/weaknesses but it looked like a great egg!

EGG-CITING :)

So I'm just wondering a few things...

-Is there any specific way I should wash them? Or just rinse them off with water (what temp. water?)
-Will she be a pretty consistent layer? (An egg a day or less?) And when will she stop laying?
- What do they taste like? I've heard they're good for baking but I'm afraid to use them because everyone in my family is iffy about it haha.

Here is a picture of the egg compared to a store bought white "large, grade a" egg

I hope you are going to get Jack a friend I bet she is lonely.

Last edited:
Congrats on your first egg!! I think you got misinformation about duck eggs, most of the time they are large and the shell is very hard. Just brush off any loose dirt or poop but wash with soapy water before using for cooking or baking. or just plain water depending on how much poo or dirt there is. Don't tell the family your using the ducks eggs when baking all they will know is what ever you baked will be and more yummier than with chicken eggs. as for eating most say they are better than chicken eggs, I can't tell much difference but my dh won't eat them [it's all in his head]

I hope you are going to get Jack a friend I bet she is lonely.

Thank you so much!! and we are currently working on finding a friend for her, hopefully we'll having one in the next month. :)

Congrats on the egg!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom