MY first Egg-sort of

RonB

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Woodinville
I got my first egg today, But I found it in two pieces!! Here is my situation. I am open to your idea's or suggestions. When I built my coop I had the roost in the south west corner and my nest boxes on the east wall. At first my nest boxes didn't have a top- only 14" high partitions. At the suggestion of several people I put a top on them. This created a nice 15" wide shelf. so 19" above that I made another roost, with the idea of taking the one in the corner down to create more floor space.
So this is what I;m wondering (1) did she lay it on top of the nest box and she or one of the others broke it open. or (2) she layed it while sitting on the roost and it fell and broke?
Solutions ? (1) take that roost down (2) lower the roost (3) or put more shavings 1 to 2 ft on top of the shelf.
I sure would like to hear some of you veterans thoughts on this Thanks

Not a veteran but this is what Idid....My chickens are 24 weeks and I just had the first egg yesterday. I have one nestbox just a few inches off the ground and another one about a foot high. I have kept wooden eggs (acouple) in them. One box has pine shavings (the lower one, it was used yesterday) and the other, darker, higher one has straw....Most suggest to have the roost higher than the nestboxes, nestboxes preferably in a darker, private area and many say to have the roof of the nestbox angled so the chickens don't sit/poop on them.....Don't know if that helps any....?
idunno.gif

fldiver97
my nest boxes are 2 ft off the ground with my roost 19" right above them. The top of the nest box doubles as a roof for the nest and where I put my shavings to catch the poop from the roost. there is NO way poop can get into the nest boxes. the chicken either laid it in the shavings or dropped it into them from the roost.
My pullets were 18 weeks last Friday. I thought it would be one of my two golden sex-links that would lay first. the egg was pretty small and almost white in color. I think its a little early for my RIR, BR and white leg horns to start laying. I do have plastic eggs or golf balls in the nests.

Back
Top Bottom