My first Fox attack that ended in a kill

Haha ya next time maybe I should cook it up for then and take the fur off Maybe they were wanting some sides to go with it lol. I just hope I never get to see them going after a snake or something lol we have a lot of little garter snakes everywhere.

Quick stupid question will crows go after chickens? I havent had to many on the property lately but the last two days one just circles my coop making a lot of noise I was wondering if I should start worrying about it maybe shoot the crow with a BB gun to get him to go away
Around here, the crows are a benefit to the chickens. They actively drive away hawks. And my birds have learned the crow's hawk warning call. I've seen them myself react, look around and head for cover, when the crows make a certain call. They,(The crows) have never harassed my birds. I don't keep any feed outside. Then the crows might turn into a problem.
Jack

Crows can raid nests - might go after eggs or chick if you let 'em.

Crow hawk alarm - good idea!.. Never thought of that.

If you raise a gosling & train it on a pond ramp, I bet it would work.

Yeah, if they don't tear up mouse fast, het rid of it.

Jack the crow was making a lot of noise scared the crap out of my chickens lol thats why I was worried. I am still a little high strung from snow whites death everything I see now I am freaking out that they will attack.

Steamroo I have put deer fencing over my outdoor run I am hoping he cant get in there. The crows we have in CO are HUGE and nasty I wouldnt put it past them trying to find a way in if they really wanted something. sometimes crows are pretty smart and can get into the weirdest things.

Sure they're not ravens? In any case, crows are good for keeping hawks away. I've seen them chase hawks in the sky. I've heard they will go after small chicks though. Chickens will alert to just about anything they see in the sky. Be it a threat or not. My roos growl at blue jays even. Sillies!

Just got done shovelling a path in their yard, & some open space. They didn't get out at all yesterday, so now they are enjoying some elbow room!

I have wild geese and ducks flying all over the place here at this time of the year, and the chickens pay no attention to them. Also have big buzzards, again the chickens pay no mind to them either. But, let a hawk or an eagle screech out, instant attention and movement(Sometimes amazingly fast for a tubby short legged bird) to safe areas. Chickens (At least mine) really get tuned in to their home turf. They learn what is a threat, and what's not.
Jack

They aren't the be all to end all, but can help at times. Depends on the flock dynamics as well. You can only try and observe. My roo in his first year had troubles initially getting the girls to respect him. The flock would divide and that's when big losses happened. Since then, they got his respect & they became more like one big flock. He was then able to warn them all of danger, and get to hiding places. When separate, some wouldn't hear the warning, thus more losses. New roos can take adjusting to. Give em time, unless they're just plain mean!

Back
Top Bottom