My first hatch and my chick is pipping on the wrong end!

No problem! I'm glad I could help.
I find that they usually do better if it's higher. 65 is the absolute lowest I would let it get during a hatch, and I'd probably be trying to get it up if it got that low. They just dry out very very easily. I like that if it's on the high end too that I can open the incubator for brief intervals and not have the humidity drop dangerously low.
What kind of incubator is it?
I have a Brinsea Mini eco. So... my other one was shrink wrapped and died and it was horrible but I did not think anything of the microscopic hole that the others knocked into her egg. I just keep thinking I could have saved her but I just pray that she went peacefully and if that is not true please don't let me know. But I have 3 adorable fluffs now! And although I wish I knew about them drying out so easily and the humidity being higher sooner, at least I know for next time now! Thank you for all of your help! And some pics of the chickies!
20230509_081050.jpg

20230509_081156.jpg
20230509_081335.jpg

Attachments

• 20230509_081156.jpg
    20230509_081156.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
You don't know that shrink wrapping was cause of death. There could have been something physically wrong with the chick (not your fault) to where she couldn't move properly and therefore got shrink wrapped. It happens. Try not to beat yourself up - odds are low that you did anything to cause this.

Enjoy your gorgeous fluff balls!!! They are super cute!!!

The first one is silkieXjapanese bantam, has a single comb, one foot has 5 toes and the other has 4 toes and a mini 5th one, has a beard and head poof, and I believe she will be black with a touch of white on the wings.

The second one is a OEGBxjapanese bantam, single comb, 4 toes, and she will either be black mottled or blue mottled. I have determined she will probably be mottled even though there is no reason why she should be because her mom is a hatchery blue and dad is black mottled japanese.

The third one is another silkieXjapanese bantam, silkie comb(I forgot what it is called), 5 correct toes on both feet, has a beard and head poof, and she will be blue just like her mom!

You don't know that shrink wrapping was cause of death. There could have been something physically wrong with the chick (not your fault) to where she couldn't move properly and therefore got shrink wrapped. It happens. Try not to beat yourself up - odds are low that you did anything to cause this.

Enjoy your gorgeous fluff balls!!! They are super cute!!!
Thank you so much for that! And I am already enjoying them so much! The more white one really imprinted on me so that just makes averything so much better :)

Back
Top Bottom