My first hatch and oh so amazing" Thanks to BYC " we did it.. Can't tell but I'm a happy mom showing

wilmascluckmom

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2015
Whitney,Tx
This was the most amazing thing I have ever done. I set my eggs from my own flock on 2/4/2015. The count down begins !! I'm monitoring temp and humidity on day 5 I'm looking closer at my eggs and realize oops!! I set one upside down.. horrible mistake so I turned it the right way. Then I candle on day 7 and all is well so I closed up and keep monitoring temp and humidity.. all okay woke up day 9 and realize I have a problem and one of my eggs are cracked more like busted really. I'm in panic mode so i'm frantically trying to see what to do really asking anyone that would tell me how to help and I was advised to put some nail polish or wax and I did not have wax so it was to big to polish so I took a chance and Taped it. I had to seal it some way I used scotch tape and used the smallest amount possible to seal it.. and waited and prayed that it was going to be okay. Day 14 and so far I have movement in all but 4 which I thought were just late developing veins but they were not fertile so I culled them. and now we in rout to day 18 my last candling and so far movement in all Yeah.. So on we go to Lock Down. Talk about Mother Hen. Well I got told that the only thing I had not done was set on that bator my self.. I was waiting and sleeping in the recliner about 2 feet from it. And around 4PM on the 25th I saw a bunch of wiggling and chirping and here comes a pip... wow was I excited I watched I did not take my eyes off fell asleep around 10pm and was woke up to loud peeping and chirping and saw a full zip and thought wow a lot happened while I was sleeping. Then at 12:01 am 2/26/2015 Here is baby 1. and the action begins..It seemed like every 2 hrs.or so here came another one. I had to help my little one with the tape zip and I had to remove the top of the air cell it was risky but it was not progressing and I thought that after 12 hrs and no zip something had to be done so I helped it. I am glad that I did it was because the membrane was dry due to the crack so I moistened it with a paper towel and they read about bacitracin and I used some to moisten the membrane and then put it on a damp paper towel and put it back and waited and dosed off to sleep and I woke up to it peeping loud and proud.. wow it did It on its own.. I was so amazed I thought it was going to be a full assisted hatch but no I just had to get it started and it took over and wow its here...and so the rest is history now and I have 11 beautiful babies... My little one with the taped shell is the one with the little puff of white one its but.. its name is Rocky..

as you can see the tape here

Me Helping

My Rocky is here.. this one....

The Kiss

Team Huddle Day One

Later day one

The first hatched Day 1

Day 2 I'm a camera ham...Mom thinks I'm a Girl...

Rocky Butt

they like the kooler with the nipples on the bottom...

Well I got a surprise just now I checked the humidity in batch 2 and today is day 19 and I have 2 babies and more pips I guess they were ready before me cause I just upped the humidity at 3 pm yesterday

My batch 2 wasn't supposed to be here till Tuesday yesterday was day 18 do I leave them for the rest of the hatch I don't want to shrink rap the others by opening the Bator

My batch 2 wasn't supposed to be here till Tuesday yesterday was day 18 do I leave them for the rest of the hatch I don't want to shrink rap the others by opening the Bator
My last hatch half of mine pipped on day 19, but it was day 20 before they finished the job. Congrats!! Whether you remove chicks or leave them in is a personal decision in my opinion. Lots of people leave theirs in until the end of the hatch, the other half of us remove our chicks. I keep my humidity up around 75% at hatch so I am comfortable removing my chicks after they are up and running. If you are comfortable leaving them in, leave them. If you are comfortable removing them, do that. Just keep in mind what your humidty is in the bator and what you will have if it drops 3-4% if you open it. If you are struggling to keep your humidity up or have a hard time getting it back up, then leaving them in is probably a better idea. If humidity isn't an issue then it shouldn't matter. Opening your bator INCREASES your chances of shrink wrapping the chicks, doesn't mean it will. The more you open the higher the chance. It's just like getting in a car. You have a chance of crashing/causing an accident, the more you are in that car, the higher the chance.

Well so far the humidity is holding around 74 after 2 have hatched but I'm waiting till I know more about the ones that have pip already cause I don't want to cause any problems with its progress

Back
Top Bottom