My First Hatch!!!!

jnnfrhllwy

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 23, 2007
so this all started because my hens decided they WERE NOT going to lay in their nesting boxes. I have 2 dominque hens and a rooster that is believed to be a "mutt" Nonetheless, as me and my husband were trimming overgrown shrubs in the yard, we found the hiding place where my hens had been laying. WOW! 45 eggs! Now we all know that one little hen couldn't possilbly set on all of those eggs. I went to my local feed store and bought a $40 incubator. I took all of the eggs but 10 from my mama hen and but 35 in. I honestly wasn't expecting any of them to hatch, but here we are, 25 days later, and 34 of them hatched! the 35th egg tried to hatch and was almost there, but passed in the process
sad.png
The coolest thing is that my kids, who are 5 and 3 got to watch a good many of them hatch. I was told that I shouldn't leave the "weak" ones with the others. Naturally, there were 2. One just seemed too weak, the other was dragging a leg. I couldn't bring myself to just get rid of them, so i put them out with their mama, and she is taking care of them. All in all its been a wonderful experience. I think I will do this more often

Wow thats a lot of hatched eggs lol... I have found nests like that and what a bunch of stinkers it was lol... Congrats on the chicks!

Arklady

WOW!!!! Sounds like a GREAT hatch. 99.9%? I can only hope SOME of mine hatch. This is my first time...well. second..first batch nothing...so far..we are on day 19...and so nervous. I already have 40 + chickens...but wanted to see this miracle myself. Congrats on the hatch! Got pics??????

had pics, but camera bit the dust.
sad.png
gonna hafta wait to get another. any idea on how to go about selling all these chicks? i've got more hatching today, a few for next week, and 13 from my mother in laws hens due to hatch may 12th. wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom